New Organic Shop?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 23 November 2004 4.09pm

Well, I was in Bloomsbury at the weekend and I popped into the Planet Organic for the first time. For those who haven't been to one - it sells organic food and other goodies.

It is really nice and, although not cheap, I thought oooh, "there should be one near me". I happened to mention this to a friendly sales assistant. They said that they were in fact looking to open a new one.

Now I think that they will take one look at SE1 and say "nope - Borough Market is too close by ". I also think that this would be a mistake as (i) much of what Planet Organic sells isn't veg anyway - but packeted organic goodies (which Borough Market does not sell); and (ii) there are loads of loft-dwelling organic-munching Londoners here who would happily buy their stuff.

So I thought, am I right?

So here' s the deal. If the good people of London SE1 agree that they would like one of these stores near them and I get more than 20 people posting to that effect - I will email Planet Organic with a link to this thread to let them know that we want one of their stores. If there is less than that, then I won't.

I have no idea whether anyone at all will post. I also have no idea whether it will have any impact at all. I do know from the recent postings we have had about Waitrose, Sainsbury's, Tesco etc.. that people do want a range of good food available locally.

That's it really. I thought this was a great idea - at 5am this morning when I couldn't sleep. Now I will see whether it is or not…

Tuesday 23 November 2004 4.21pm
red bus,

Total Organics in the market do stock a range of 'packeted' and tinned goodies, though they tend to have a more comprehensive range in their shop off Maylebone High St. You could direct your campaign at getting them to stock their full range locally. However, direct competitiion might benefit us consumers.
Tuesday 23 November 2004 5.35pm
I spent eighteen months avoiding the Bloomsbury branch when I had regular meetings at a client just round the corner.

I found the attitude of some of the staff too much to take.
[You're working in retail, not putting your life at risk to save the planet by helping indigenous Brazilians fight armed thugs paid by shady transnational logging companies for God's sake!]

Apart from Bloomsbury, Planet Organic's other branches are Westbourne Grove (Notting Hill borders) and Fulham.

red bus, how can you wish such a fate on SE1 ???
Wednesday 24 November 2004 8.46am
why not.
i actually thought the same thing red bus, wandering around the very 'triste' borough high st.
the usual discussion about boro'mkt only open on weekends springs to mind, but we are not goimg there again.
lang rabbie, i must admit i always confuse these shops fresh&wild, planet organic...
but i could imagine the staff thinking a lot of them themselves. and almost £4 for a carrot juice is definitely a joke.
but nevertheless a healthy alternative to sainsbury's veg and corner shop's brown bananas plus some stuff you only get at organic shops would not be a bad idea.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 24 November 2004 8.47am by schnake.
Thursday 25 November 2004 10.35am

OK, well I don't think anyone else is going to post. As you might imagine, I will not be emailing any shops. I will also think twice before translating my 5am 'brilliant!' ideas into embarassing se1 posts. Thanks for responding anyway though.
Thursday 25 November 2004 11.04am
I do like the idea but depending on your whereabouts you may also be interested in Tas EV opening soon in the arches in Isabella street behind Southwark tube station. It's a shop run by the good people of Tas restaurants and is being billed as an Organic mediterranean deli, as well as fish shop. It was due to open in September but work looks to be going very slowly as they seem to be doing much of it themselves. When (or if) it opens I shall be trying it and sharing my thoughts ...
Thursday 25 November 2004 11.19am
Ev opens next week I understand.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 25 November 2004 11.24am

Sounds good!
Friday 26 November 2004 11.47am

Turkey is one of the only countries to produce a surplus of food, but I could never work out why hardly any of it seems to come to the UK.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 26 November 2004 5.42pm
Tas is ridiculously expensive for turkish food and is the only turkish place where the bread never came free with the soup! ( i know others have now followed suit). bad precedent!

instead you could lobby the shop by the old toilets on tower bridge road which is now run by turks who can bring all the lovely goodies down from green lanes at a fraction of what tas would no doubt charge.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: