The Harpy at the Moorings

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
McD
Sunday 28 November 2004 7.45pm
Hi,

Moved to SE1 relatively recently. Was a supporter of the "Save the Moorings" campaign; however have now seen "the Harpy " has moved in with a new gangplank. This is pretty big, unloved & derilect in contrast to the other boats - wondered if anyone knew what was going on?? Is it staying? I see from previous discussions that it was around in 2003.
Monday 29 November 2004 8.25pm
I must admit that I've always loved The Harpy and was quite saddened when it just vanished earlier this year without explanation.

If it has come back, I'm quite glad as I've always held an ambition for my offices to be in The Harpy!
Tuesday 30 November 2004 7.41am
The Harpy first appeared on the scene when it was bought by Andrew Wadsworth to use as a home and an office whilst he was restoring New Concordia Wharf about thirty years ago. He was the first person to start concerting wahehouses into residential devlopment on this side of the river and we owe a lot to him for his foresight. I beleve it was used prevoiously as a Police Station and was moored down river. I also have fancied it as a home for myself!
Pip
Tuesday 30 November 2004 1.16pm
McD - Rather than looking unloved and dilapidated, it looks to me as if The Harpy is being renovated (assume it was moved elsewhere - maybe to dry dock - when the Moorings were under threat). We are trying to moor my partner's barge there and having spoken to the 'owner' of the moorings, it seems that the number of boats is to be further restricted and they must fulfil certain aesthetics i.e. fit in with the other boats, so I wouldn't worry too much. They could turn The Harpy into a floating pub / restaurant I guess!!
Tuesday 30 November 2004 11.15pm
Does any one have any pictures.

And also Alan

Have you heard any thing on Potters Fields.

Thank you
Wednesday 1 December 2004 12.18am
Hi Micky
I believe we should hear before Christmas. Will post a message when it happens!
Saturday 4 December 2004 11.06am
Ive seen it moored downriver for a while, somewhere round Cherry Gardens as I recall. I've coveted it too, but any boat would do me fine. Fed up of living in a flat with no light, no weather and not enough of the outside world altogether.
Thursday 9 December 2004 8.22pm
I don't know whether any one saw the business section of the evening standard

An article about the founder of Berkeley homes,I know we already knew that they were going to concentrate on regeneration.but the way it was put was that they were turning there backs on expensive riverside flats.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: