The London Scotia Bar

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 12
Monday 29 November 2004 4.56pm
Not sure of kick-off time tomorrow night, but musicians have been asked to be there around 8.30. Not sure of exactly what's on, but in previous years the Scotia has kindly put on haggis 'n' neeps for everybody, the haggis being 'piped in', followed by a recitation of Burns' Ode to the haggis. But the main part of the evening consists of lots of drinking, accompanied by some cracking scottish and shetland reels played on traditional instruments by my pals and me.
Monday 29 November 2004 5.01pm
Sounds fab! Will probably be there from about 7.30 (wouldn't want to lose valuable drinking time!)
Monday 29 November 2004 5.25pm
I'll be along, but late.
Monday 29 November 2004 5.28pm
Plum Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's getting hard to get a decent pint around here
> with all the gastro pubs etc. Hope it stays an
> old fashioned boozer.
You'll never be able to walk on Bermondsey St again. What we need is more places who will cut my hair for 100 minimum, and somewhere to get potato ricers

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 29 November 2004 9.19pm
I asked in the Scotia tonight if they knew what it was going to be - unfortunately not. Hopefully it could be another proper pub. If it's something that's an independent that might not be too bad - well, not as bad as a Starbucks or whatever.
Monday 29 November 2004 11.23pm
put your neeps away, who gives a toss whether it's a tarbuck's ? it's been a plastic pub for years. bah!
Tuesday 30 November 2004 9.17am
Why is everyone getting so worried about the demise of IMO, a slightly tacky (Scottish?) theme pub? Agree with barkyhead on this one.

And the beer they serve in there - I thought the Wall was erected to stop that stuff coming south
Tuesday 30 November 2004 9.51am
bmovie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why is everyone getting so worried about the
> demise of IMO, a slightly tacky (Scottish?) theme
> pub? Agree with barkyhead on this one.
>
> And the beer they serve in there - I thought the
> Wall was erected to stop that stuff coming south

Exactly. I think they should take the opportunity to fill that niche between The Bermondsey Kitchen and The Garrison, thus bringing plenty of much-needed diversity into the area.

Tuesday 30 November 2004 11.35am
On the subject of change welcome or not, I hear 'The Bermondsey', just near the fashion museum is closing - not a surprise, it never seemed to be very busy.
Tuesday 30 November 2004 12.56pm
Excellent. Room for TWO starbuckses

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: