Every had one of those days...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 22 July 2002 7.15pm
I decided to go out for Sunday lunch yesterday and
thought I would give The Anchor at Bankside a go. I know that in the past friends have said that it is not up to much, but thought I would give it a try since it has been revamped and has a hotel built onto it. This is how the 1pm telephone conversation went with the restaurant:

Me - What is the lunch time opening hours today please
Girl - 5pm
Me - What for lunch? What are your Sunday Lunch hours
Girl - We are open now.
me - What time is the last ordering time
Girl - 3pm
Me - Ok I would like to book for 3pm for 2 people
Girl - Well, eh 2.45 really - best make it 2.30 Me - OK

We turn up 2.25 and the smell from the downstairs toilet
was dreadful - in the upstairs restaurant we were told
to order quickly because the kitchen was about to close
- we had not even sat down at that point. When we sat
down she was hovering around and the smell from downstairs toilet was wafting up and was awful.
Needless to say we left.

We went to Studio Six in Gabriels Wharf - food was good but had to wait nearly an hour for it! The toilets were not
up to much and there was a pair of red lacy knickers on
the floor! The mind boggles......

Ever had one of those days?
Monday 22 July 2002 8.31pm
Sounds like a near miss. I like Sarnis in Gabriel's Wharf but the public toilets never presented me with a lingerie show.
Tuesday 23 July 2002 1.20pm
Tuesday 23 July 2002 2.19pm

it seems to be the case that the management have spent all the 's on new development; any visitor will spot that there are not enough staff, or a suitably sized bar, in order to adequately serve the large clientele.

I took great delight in walking out of the pub after being forced to wait for more than 15 minutes in order to be served. I shall actively discourage my friends from patronising the venue. This is the 3rd time and final time I have had to endure such a long wait.
Tuesday 23 July 2002 3.28pm
Anchor must have a problem as I was there a month ago and the stink was evident then too.

What about the pigeons though, lovely place to have a beer in the open next to the Thames, except for cannibal pigeons picking the bones out of a table of food left out. It\'s just not acceptable to leave signs suggesting patrons return their plates. Should employ enough staff to clear them away and make sure they do so!
Tuesday 23 July 2002 4.07pm
Here here.
Tuesday 23 July 2002 6.38pm
or even hear hear
Wednesday 24 July 2002 9.18am
The one and only time I went there it smelt of sick at about 7.00pm in the evening, just inside the entrance.

All I would say is take a look at the outside- it is one of those tiny old pubs that has mutated into a small medieval town, with fakery at every wall.

We were warned! I would leave it for the tourists.
Wednesday 24 July 2002 11.12am
I dispair at the state of the Anchor. I thought it would improve after refurbishment. Perhaps they forgot to rrefurbish the staff. It is a typical grubby London tourist rip-off place. I am dismayed that we foist this \"heritage\" on our visitors. Always busy, though.

Eat at the Globe Theatre Cafe instead. Charming staff. Acres of maple strip flooring. Immaculate toilets. Go early - it gets packed. Not too expensive (15). Interesting English food.

Or the Loft restaurant behind the Southwark Street Mercure Hotel in Lavington Street (more expensive at 30 a course). Usually very quiet.

Or take sandwiches and exchange banter with the builders at the newly-pregnant BT offices by Southwark Bridge.

Anybody eaten at the top floor at the Tate?
Wednesday 24 July 2002 11.51am
Yes, I have. Went on a Saturday night and there were only about 12 people there. Despite that, we were seated next to a very annoying couple - the wife spent 2 hours haranguing her poor husband for everything he'd ever done.

I was disappointed with the veggie offer (why do places think it's okay to just offer risotto for vegetarians? Do they think we're invalids? Or that we have no teeth?) and you can't smoke.

Won't be going there again for a meal.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: