Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Friday 3 December 2004 11.15am
I've just seen, in the plane trees on the estate to the south of the Jam Factory, two jays. Beautiful. I noticed that they kept out of the Jam Factory.
If you put out a feeder you'll be surprised at what you'll attract. On my tiny balcony I've got two regular blue tit (well, they're rather grey being city folk) visitors. They raised a chick last year in the nest box I put up.
Someone has put up three or four feeders outside their windoww on tabard st, facinf the park (just at the Borough end of Becket st). I've seen greenfinches feeding there.
What has anyone else seen?
Friday 3 December 2004 11.51am
I'm slightly reluctant to admit this in case I get labelled as a 'twitcher' - however here goes... I have rigged up 2 bird feeders on the railings surrounding my terrace which overlooks St Georges Gardens. The peanut feeder has been regularly mugged by 2 jays [they are the thugs of the bird world but beautiful to look at] and the other one has been visited by greenfinches as well as blue and great tits.
I was not expecting much, given that there is little vegetation on the terrace and there are 2 cats living next door who can get onto my patch - I was worried they would assume I was lining up a few hors d'oeuvres for them.

Am now keeping a look out for the lesser spotted blue bird of paradise...

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 3 December 2004 11.52am by janefs.
Friday 3 December 2004 12.18pm
I once saw a sparrowhawk (I think) swoop for a pigeon on Blackfriars Road. It was fairly animated - but the pigeon was far too big for the hawk and made away quite easily after a bit of a ruck.

But I was very surprised to see any bird of prey in so central a location (at the time I used to walk along Blackfriars road twice daily to and from the office and only saw it once in about two years).
Friday 3 December 2004 1.37pm
The only birds I see now are the colony of crows that seem to perch on all the nearby rooftops and trees. I had assumed that they were scaring the other, smaller, birds away (because, I can tell you, they put the spooks up me).

However, thanks to the posts above, I now know that all the nice small birds are hanging out on other people's balconys, seduced by free peanuts ;0)

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 3 December 2004 1.45pm
that's all you need, Ivanhoe - a bag of nuts and maybe the odd fatball.....
Friday 3 December 2004 1.48pm
I think I've got those readily to hand jane, and would willingly offer them up to the tits and finches.

However, I'd be a bit nervous of just attracting more of those horrible crows [prepares to be mobbed by crow lovers]

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 3 December 2004 2.19pm
maybe they're after your cider - are you sure it's safe on the balcony?
I recall that tits have been known to peck open the tops of milk bottles (a while ago though), lets hope the crows can't open your cider shed.
Friday 3 December 2004 2.22pm
I have nuts and a bird bath on my terrace. Four blue-tits were enjoying both last weekend.
Tuesday 7 December 2004 8.18pm
I did have loads of birds, until the Tabard Estate management decided to tear down the 4-storey high ivy that was growing up the side of my block, and chop down 3 trees close to my balcony. Bird numbers are depleted now, but some still remain. Not seen any greenfinches though. We have had a number of broods of blackbirds raised in nests on people's balconies in my block, one in a window box next door and one in a hanging basket upstairs, and one almost adjacent to my front door.

As for birds of prey, there are definitely sparrowhawks around, often by the river. There was (and maybe still is) a kestrel nesting on one of the balconies of Guys Tower. I saw a kestrel in Tabard Park - maybe it was this one.
Wednesday 8 December 2004 7.40am
How high up will small birds come? We have a huge terrace on 14th floor overlooking the Elephant (wave to us when you go by, please...we're the terrace with the trees overlooking the roundabout and the Coronet and the New Kent Road - three sides, on top of Metro Central Heights). But the only passing visitors we've had were pigeons who were attracted by the sandwiches from our builders last year. So I put a stop to THAT. But some teeny weeny sweetie birds would be lovely and we could provide goodies. But as I say..will they fly this high? Bird fanciers' expertise appreciated.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: