Jam Factory cat5 and phone network

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 3 December 2004 11.54am
Hi, I'm new to the area moving into the Jam Factory this weekend and was wondering what the score is with the network sockets in the flat - are they connected to a flat-wide network? Or something larger? I've seen bits of references to an intranet - does this exist?

Also, any recommendations for digital TV and broadband there? I used to have telewest elsewhere which has been OK.

Friday 3 December 2004 12.34pm

Hi - and welcome to the area. I don't live in the Jam Factory, but someone mentioned on here last year the following messagegroup - someone there will probably know the answer:

Hi Dominic,

I'm afraid the virtual community which was promised by Angel has yet to materialise. I've set up a resident's virtual group, which you can subscribe to by sending an email to the following address:

If you want to find what has been said here about the Jam Factory in the past, use Search "Jam Factory" and change to "All Dates"
Friday 3 December 2004 1.41pm

Welcome from me too. What floor / block are you moving into?

The CAT5 is just within a given flat. There's a patch panel and (usually) a small Ethernet hub so you can plumb stuff together. You should have two BT twisted pairs coming in. Just one would be fine for most people, but at least one resident is running two 4mbit broadband connections to make a rather chunky 8 meg. Then again I think internet is their business, so fair enough!

Although the developers never implemented any of the (frankly preposterous) ideas they badged "e-lifestyle" (vom), there is now something far more practical and real - www.myjamfactory.com created by the residents.

It's got some message boards, a planning section, lists of residents etc. The latest feature is DVD swap, so you can see participating residents' collections (also includes PS/2 and X Box games) and borrow them.

Follow the contact us link on the login page, you should be able to send an email asking to join.

If you want to drop round and meet another new(ish) resident let me know.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: