The Hartley

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 3 December 2004 2.46pm
The Hartley is the type of establishment we ought to be encouraging in areas such as Bermondsey, rather than completely write off.
Admittedly, I moved into the area and for the first six months rarely ventured into the South side of the river. A mistake I now acknowledge. The Hartley is precisely the sort of place I seek to relax in, knowing that while I sit away with my Sunday paper the Chef will be standing over my hearty dish of home-cooked goodness, and dare-I-say it, amongst company (albeit the staff) that welcome me as if somehow it could be home. Sure, 4 is about the price you could pay for a semi decent bottle of wine at the local supermarket, but what people sometimes forget is precisely where it is they live. Any business on Tower Bridge Road (whether North or South), will never, cannot ever forget that as much as it needs to offer value-for-money in order to ensure customer satisfaction/attraction, it cannot do this at the sake of profit. If 3 for a glass of wine is more along the lines of what you consider acceptable for a glass of wine, then I suggest you move out of the area, or better still, try setting your own business up, and at 3 a glass, seeing how around Tower Bridge, you would intend on sustaining the place, never mind making a profit.
Friday 3 December 2004 2.48pm
Hmn. Who's going to say it first?

Anyway, I love the Hartley. I've had some TERRIBLE service there, but it has got better and it's a wonderful addition to the area that deserves to do well. Great food.
Friday 3 December 2004 2.51pm
Please continue in the existing Hartley thread.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network