Another bit of green gone...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 7 December 2004 11.20am
I'm livid. While going for a morning trot today I noticed that it looks like Southwark has sold off another bit of precious green. I'm referring to a strip of Southwark park near St Olaves. The land seems to have been given/sold to what looks like a pet cemetry. How can the council get away with this? Once sold off land rarely becomes green again.
Tuesday 7 December 2004 11.25am
I'm with you Harry. They seem to be getting rid of our inner city "lungs" bit by bit. Very aggravating! Still, at least in this one instance if it's going to be a pet cemetary (why? I love my cat but come on!) then maybe it'll still be green & grassy.
Tuesday 7 December 2004 11.31am
One of my major gripes regarding horrible St. George's plan to build a highrise on the parking lot of our building (Metro Central Heights) is that the parking lot has JUST begun to look lovely and green, the trees have become trees rather than saplings after six or seven years. The trees (opposite the Coronet) give real welcome relief to a concrete landscape. At least, as Plum says, the cat cemetery should be not only green but FLOWERY as well.
Tuesday 7 December 2004 11.45am
I'm still mourning the loss of the cinema that used to stand on the "parking lot" (car park in my day). I used to work in AFH on the 10th floor and watch the ducks swimming around on the pond on the roof. Which reminds me, we have until february to organise an urban hunt. Should be marvellous, there are loads of healthy looking foxes and I have a dog. Anyone?
Tuesday 7 December 2004 11.49am
Are we talking about the site on the corner of Lower Road and Jamaica Road in SE16?

This is the Albins Memorial Garden - AFAIK for the ashes of people not pets
http://www.albins.co.uk/garden.htm

IMHO, it is appallingly designed - in particular the new wall inside the railings on the road side. IIRC It is less of a blot seen from inside the park, because there is a hedge.

What I don't know is whether Albins bought the site from Southwark or have always owned it - did they just accept money when the roundabout was rejigged for railings to match the realigned park railings?
Tuesday 7 December 2004 11.51am
Mr Bridger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm still mourning the loss of the cinema that
> used to stand on the "parking lot" (car park in my
> day). I used to work in AFH on the 10th floor and
> watch the ducks swimming around on the pond on the
> roof.

Ah the brutalist concrete of the (former) Odeon - demolished by the site owners at dead of night when they thought it might be listed.
Tuesday 7 December 2004 12.03pm
I'll come on the hunt, if we can take crows as well as foxes. TALLY HO!!

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 7 December 2004 6.24pm
We've done cider making, I think we should try some other rural pursuits, fox hunting in SE1 is a splendid idea!
Tuesday 7 December 2004 7.13pm
I think we should hunt whatever we like. It's our land and it's our right. Foxes, crows and people with golfing umbrellas. Tally-ho!!
Tuesday 7 December 2004 7.36pm
And people who chew gum.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: