Southwark Council Planning Win Award

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 8 December 2004 12.35am
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/1305

So the council has won an award presented by glorious Ken. The award is for the regeneration plan for the Elephant. Our council is great at planning and deserves the award, for planning. Of course it's crap at implementation of these regeneration plans. I cite the Spa road site as an example. A council tip is a more attractive implementation than what this "regeneration plan' has achieved locally. A disgrace that the council sold of council open space to developers in the first place, ( oh yes we're getting something quid pro quo in theory) but then to sit around and watch the space deteriorate behind tatty fences with no sign of any work, so far 9 months behind schedule! Well done Southwark....Have another award!
Wednesday 8 December 2004 2.14am
I'm sure there's an "and the biggest Turkey award goes to ... " ceremony - can't remember what it's called but I'm sure Southwark will have been nominated (if not won) several times by now!
Wednesday 8 December 2004 7.34am
Gosh, I really cannot BELIEVE this....the last Planning Committee I went to (in November) was attended by only THREE councillors, one of which could hardly speak English . They passed a couple of HUGE developments which should have been debated far longer (and refused). The Planning Officer was, by his own admission, "a temp." and treated all the applications with an appallingly cavalier approach, I was SHOCKED. Is there a system for getting awards recinded? However, not a word, please, against the Elephant Links and the Regeneration programme which is spectacular.
Wednesday 8 December 2004 9.11am
Anyone know whats happening at Bermondsey Square?
Wednesday 8 December 2004 10.18am
Sorry Jackie, but I'm going to say a word against it. Spectacular it may be, but the plans include building on some open spaces locally, notably some areas by Dickens Square including the Butterfly walk, and the Bankside Open Spaces headquarters and gardens they have set up there.
Wednesday 8 December 2004 8.56pm
Ooops, I'll go and look at what's being obliterated on the model. But dont forget that all sorts of new open spaces are being created so it may even out. LOTS of trees and pedestrianised areas too.
Wednesday 8 December 2004 10.17pm
If Ken Livingston Presented an award to southwark council for planning
He should have the sense to see the merit of southwark councils plans for potters fields

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 8 December 2004 10.18pm by mickysalt.
Thursday 9 December 2004 10.42am
They've certainly made a pig's ear of the area around Tate Modern, which could be brilliant with a bit of vision instead of a lot of greed.
Thursday 9 December 2004 11.02am
Omigod...Greed is the word for it! This is why I'm on such a mission to stop the horrible St. George from putting a high rise into our parking lot at Metro Central Heights. The poor people who will be opposite it will look at nothing but other people's lives it will be so close, the people living in it will have their teeth rattling day and night from the railway which will be IN their kitchens...and besides that it will be out of keeping with the original Erno Goldfinger building which you may or may not like but none the less is IS a classic. Furthermore, as I said before, they will dig up the trees which have been planted and which are a welcome touch of green. St. George/Berkeley Homes are taking over the world - it's a disgrace.
Thursday 9 December 2004 11.37am
For those interested in the Metro Central Heights saga, Ken Livingstone considered the latest application in November

The Mayor's "initial representation" - i.e. his views to Southwark on why they should turn it down

which seem mostly to be because it doesn't contain enough affordable housing.

Unfortunately for the neighbours, he says "In principle, this is an appropriate high density residential scheme that makes optimum use of scarce urban land and complies broadly with the sustainable residential quality principles in the London Plan"

The report that he considered includes some background on the planning history.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: