Ecstasy Death /Club Under London Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 28 June 2001 2.11pm

Reading the news reports about a young clubber who recently died I was surprised to see mention of a club under London Bridge.

I thought that club had been closed down ?

Thursday 28 June 2001 2.27pm
Also........I understand it when it was open before they ensured there was adequate ventilation and 'chill out' rooms.

I think there were concerns about the club and safety so it got shut down. .. though there werent any deaths there before this new club opened, where apparently people were overheating.

Any one from Southwark licensing or Railtrack care to comment ?

All the best

Thursday 28 June 2001 2.59pm
And while I am at it the previous postings on this site re The drome, as it was called, suggest someone might have considerd this a bit more carefully.

Friday 29 June 2001 1.50pm
Previous postings on The Drome said that people felt it should not close down didn't they? So why should they have been more considered?

Staying open is one thing, but closing down, bricking half of it up and re-opening under a new guise is another.

Besides, people have died from taking E's all over England and usually in licensed, well ventilated and clued up venues. I am not condoning the SE1 club, but it is not the clubs who are to blame.
Saturday 28 July 2001 2.18pm
you are misinformed about the drome reopening. i was there the night of those deaths and it was not at the drome. The new club called se1 is a completely different club run by money grabbing bastards. The drome was a decent club se1 is not so please dont get the 2 mixed up
Monday 30 July 2001 1.26pm
With regard to the recent events at both Stainer Street (SE1), and The Ministry of Sound, questions arise as to the bias of Southwarks Licensing Committee. How can it come to pass that a successful and safe club operator can be shut down, while deaths and woundings occur elsewhere. We need to support those club operators who have a proven track record, because over the long term they provide a much needed cultural service.

Clubs are an established part of London's life, and should be controlled by people who balance their duty of care (a principle that is firmly embedded in the laws of the UK) with the profits available, in such a way as to provide a decent service.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: