Great Friday lunchtime concert at St George's Cathedral

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 9 December 2004 1.20pm
<Blatant Plug>

"NEXT Friday, 10th December, is a real Christmas treat, with the opportunity to hear some of the most moving music written for the Christmas season in the 20th century. Paean is a group of professional singers based at the Royal Academy of Music, directed by Rufus Frowde who is organist at the Chapel Royal, Hampton Court . The accompanist is Thomas Wilson, assistant organist at Westminster Cathedral. The programme includes Britten's Ceremony of Carols, and Poulenc's Litanies a la Vierge Noire. Please come along if you are free next Friday lunchtime, and support this event."

"The lunchtime concerts are free, although we welcome donations, and last around 45 minutes"

The concert starts at 1.05.
</blatant plug>

How to get to St George's Cathedral

Being a lapsed Methodist agnostic, I have no association with the Cathedral - just want to get an audience for what I think is likely to be the best Christmas music event in SE1 this year.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 9 December 2004 1.21pm by Lang Rabbie.
Thursday 9 December 2004 1.41pm
I'm off to see Gavin Bryars do Jesus' Blood at the Royal Festival Hall tonight.
Thursday 9 December 2004 6.07pm
ii hope to get there Friday Lunch.........then SE1 party in the evening.

I love se1 !
Thursday 9 December 2004 10.40pm
The Roman cathedral, that is. Not Southwark Cathedral.

[Paean by the way always brings to mind Kenneth Leighton's organ piece.]
Wednesday 15 December 2004 10.56pm
i felt very close to God that afternoon...... then I attended the SE 1 Christmas social.... but that's anotther story
Thursday 16 December 2004 11.01am
Glad to hear you weren't one of the members of the audience who fled in horror during the Messiaen organ piece [Dieu Parmi Nous from La Nativite Du Seigneur] that hadn't been included in the advance publicity.

I thought Paean's performance of the Britten Ceremony of Carols was very good. {IMHO it stood up pretty well compared to the star recordings when the piece was the "Building a Library" selection on on Radio 3's Record Review the following day.}
Thursday 16 December 2004 12.48pm
i am no expert, but I agree that the Britten work was excellent. And the organ stuff was , erm, challenging.
Kevin

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: