Own up, you SE1 taggers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 9 December 2004 2.30pm
Came home last night, and saw that someone had squiggled some undecorative and v unimaginative grafitti on the side of our building.

Amongst the "tags" (as Mrs I informs me that the youth of today call them), there was little that I could interpret as consisting of letters from our alphabet, apart from the bold and proud name "SE1".

Who was it, then?

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 9 December 2004 3.50pm
James Hatts!
Thursday 9 December 2004 3.53pm
The game is afoot.....

Thursday 9 December 2004 5.02pm
We can keep on top of this sort of thing by reporting graffiti to the council. If it's on council property or is offensive (racist, homophobic, obscene etc) it will be removed within 24 hours. Recently some rather prominent graffiti appeared all over the base of Peronnet House at Elephant & Castle - I used the form on Southwark's website, had a reply the next day and by the evening it was gone! They will also remove grafitti from private property free of charge, providing a disclaimer form is signed by the owner. See http://www.southwark.gov.uk/YourServices/environment/streetcleaning/Graffiti.html

I've noticed that "tagging" has got worse around here in the last month or so, whereas previously we were mostly graffiti free. Lately tags have been appearing, mostly "RIBS" and "OAF" but all equally ugly, moronic and talentless.
Thursday 9 December 2004 5.15pm
Cheers Zappomatic. It's not rude, or offensive, and I wouldn't even mind it being there......if it was any good!

AFAIC, grafitti would be reasonably welcome on a lot of buildings, IF ONLY IT WAS DECORATIVE/INTERESTING/etc. I just don't get tagging (esp. when the tags are unadorned and deviod of style)

A few yrs ago, we lived in house at the end of a terrace, and local kids would always spray their silly tags on it. I got very close to covering their daubs in white and then having a go myself, on the grounds that at least I could try and do something that was a bit nicer to look at/had maybe taken an iota of thought before doing (and I'm no artist, by a long way).

Frankly, I'd be embarassed if I was one of the people who'd done the graffiti on our flats. If the std of my work was so low, I'd take to spraying other people's tags rather than my own.

(In fact, any suggestions for amusing grafitti to spray alongside said inept daubs - general theme being to take the piss at the low quality of work - would be most welcomed. Of course, if anyone from our tenant's mgt gestapo is reading this, then please be assured there's no way I'd ever dream of besmirching the lovely brickwork ;0))

Thursday 9 December 2004 5.49pm
'I'm starting small with tagging, but in five years time I'll be an award winning journalist for The Sun'

it's a bit long I know, but I saw it on a wall and thought it was funny.
Friday 10 December 2004 1.47pm
You might follow this example:http://www.lemony.co.uk/tmp/ssg.htm
Friday 10 December 2004 6.08pm
Oh, that's excellent. Off to pick up sticky labels tomorrow.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: