The X List

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 10 December 2004 12.19am
The X List what a great idea

Watching the cultura show they did a mock up of demolishing St. goeges wharf

If only

They were talking about a new channel four show next year ,a bit like restoration in reverse where you have to vote for the ugly building you would like demolished .

St. goeges wharf would be no 1 on my list

Followed by the city of London school opposite the Tate Modern

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 10 December 2004 12.20am by mickysalt.
Friday 10 December 2004 12.24am
Channel 4 and RIBA to dynamite Britain's worst building

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 10 December 2004 9.59am
but the Tricorn centre has just been demolished!
Friday 10 December 2004 10.17am
I vote the Mayors building
Friday 10 December 2004 11.24am
Must be the Tower Bridge Hotel. Still, if Berkeley get their way, there will be an equally grotesque sister across the river.
Friday 10 December 2004 11.30am
mickysalt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Followed by the city of London school opposite
> the Tate Modern

From memory, I can think of half a dozen worse City buildings blighting the views of St Pauls from SE1, which should be higher up any X list -

1. the copper roofed prewar telephone exchange on the north side of Queen Victoria Stret
2. the 1960s BT buildings (Baynard House?) around St Benet Pauls Wharf and the nearby traffic ramp.
3. the upper floors of the Unilever building on the corner of Blackfriars Bridge Approach/Victoria Embankment;
4. the 1980s building with all the ridiculous 45 angle pedimenty bits immediately east of the City of London School;
5. Blackfriars Station - both what's left of the Victorian station and the 1970s building above it (KPMG?);
6. Terry Farrell's 80s post modernist monstrosity on London Wall, Alban Gate, which is ridiculously overlit at night and detracts from any attempt to photograph the city at dusk or night.

Whether they will all be put to shame by the new design for Puddle Dock by Will Allsop that will replace the Mermaid Theatre is unclear (You can see some of my X list next to the new building on the relevant page of the practice's site) I'm a bit concerned that the red facade of the planned building is typical 'magazine architecture' shouting "Look at me!"
Friday 10 December 2004 1.33pm
I agree with all that

I just mentioned the city of London school to point out that a building doesn't have to be big to be profoundly lame.
Monday 20 December 2004 12.26am
I'd still go for the Tower Thistle Hotel though. Especially if you can blow it up without damaging the Haagen Daas ice-cream parlour at the bottom.
Monday 20 December 2004 7.49am
St. George's wharf started out looking quite interesting, but it seems to be proliferating without end...it's going to end up in Chelsea the way things are going, getting ever higher and higher. Bring on the dynamite! (And while you're at it, put mines in Potters Fields so they will be scared off from putting those awfyl gasworks there....UGH! In fact, someone please dynamite the Berkeley/St. George head offices NOW)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: