Building Collapse on TBR

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 12 December 2004 7.13pm
Does anyone know anything about the sudden hole in the ground near the northbound bus stop (sort of opposite the Hartley?). Some neighbours told me about it - they were walking past about 15 mins before it collapsed, apparently killing a woman in the first floor flat.
Sunday 12 December 2004 7.38pm
Mr Plum walked past shortly after the building collapsed and the woman who runs the Christian Rock bookshop was crying on the pavement, she naturally lost all her stock. We didn't realise that anyone had been hurt though. As you know from the other thread, the hardware shop had already been demolished and it appears that they hadn't done a proper job of shoring up the buildings either side. He also overheard that there was some question regarding the planning permission too.
Sunday 12 December 2004 9.47pm
This is based on information from the London Fire Brigade:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/1315

I am awaiting further information on the incident from the police.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 12 December 2004 11.05pm
I'm afraid the Fire Service Report is inaccurate, the building had collapsed long before 11.58pm on Friday. Perhaps they mean am? The damage was done & the area cordoned off by the time we walked to the Christmas Party at 6.15pm.
Sunday 12 December 2004 11.16pm
It says 2348. Looking at it again think it must be Thursday night - have updated accordingly.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 12 December 2004 11.41pm
Mr Plum says he was there about 9am Friday morning and the Police etc were still on the scene at that time & the rubble was lying across the road.
Monday 13 December 2004 10.00am
Christian bookshop loses stock in act of god.

Where's the holy corruption when you need it?

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 15 December 2004 3.38pm
it happened shortly after midnight, there was a big boom and a smell of gas but i never heard that anyone had been hurt? there was no sign of an ambulance that i could see
Wednesday 15 December 2004 5.31pm
the story of someone hurt came from a neighbour - might just be chinese whispers
Thursday 16 December 2004 5.23pm
saying that, though, i went on my roof today and half of the flat attached to the former shop is sliced through in the most horrific way, so if anyone was in there.... looks awful

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network