Rare postboxes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Wednesday 19 January 2005 10.51am
All I can tell you for sure is that the box in the picture is not in SE1!

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 19 January 2005 10.51am by James Hatts.
Wednesday 19 January 2005 12.37pm
I have written an email to the Letter Box Study Group to see if they can help...
Wednesday 19 January 2005 2.37pm
That's two people who want that glory...

I'm getting so curious now. I'll be walking around SE1 oggling all the postboxes.
Wednesday 19 January 2005 4.16pm
So to summarise:

We don't have any verifiable statement anywhere in this thread or linked sites that there actually is one in SE1 - all we have is Harry's original post that he had heard there was one "on the South Bank".

An article, which happened to be published in "In SE1" states that there are two in Southwark, but does not give a source other than directing us to the website of the Letter Box Study Group.

From a post I have found in the Greater London Industrial Archaeological Society Newsletter in 2002, it appears that one of these could be in Nunhead Lane SE15.

From what I have now discovered of letter box history, and what I know of Southwark's building history, I suspect that the box is close to an area that was new residential development in 1936.

This makes me suspect that if we are to find the letter box in north Southwark, we should concentrate our search on the LCC estates built off Rotherhithe Street in the mid 1930s.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 19 January 2005 4.17pm by Lang Rabbie.
Wednesday 19 January 2005 5.40pm
Well done Sherlock, the game's afoot ...
Wednesday 19 January 2005 11.14pm
Perhaps James will even offer a prize. 2nd class stamp or something.
Thursday 20 January 2005 1.11pm
well there's no point offering a first class stamp - the post wouldn't get there any quicker.
Thursday 20 January 2005 1.35pm
> - the post wouldn't get there any quicker.

Or at all. :-(

Thursday 20 January 2005 1.50pm
Narrowing the search down a bit and off at a slight tangent, the phone box at the side of the Roebuck in Trinity St. was listed by english heritage in 1972 "Telephone kiosk. 1927 by Giles Gilbert Scott. Cast iron. Type K2 with domed roof" The post box in Trinity Church Sq I think is also listed - perhaps this is the rare box you seek?
Thursday 20 January 2005 2.09pm
having queried the Listed building service data, it would appear that there are only 3 listed letter boxes in Greater London. None of which are south of the river, and none of which dat from after mid 19th Century. So it would appear that it is not listed.

I will however attempt a different type of search and see what results I get.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network