Rare postboxes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5
Friday 21 January 2005 10.35am
why TVIC Lang Rabbie - that's an absolutely excellent idea, a summer project to be completed before the next round of cider making starts.

stranger things than this have been done as practical jokes, and hoaxes.
Friday 21 January 2005 10.45am
I thought I was getting the hang of these acronyms after 8 years training people to use the Internet :-(
What on earth is TVFIC? Google list 49 instances, 2 on SE1, the rest seem to be mostly on German web sites, so clearly it's been invented here! UTMUYOA!

(Unfair To Make Up Your Own Acronyms)

(Made-up Acroynyms Reduce Karma)
Friday 21 January 2005 10.52am
TFIC is a [mostly] SE1 invention - Tongue Firmly in Cheek...

See here for the definitive list.
Friday 21 January 2005 10.57am
TVFIC - tongue VERY firmly in cheek

(used by Mapmaker when he wanted to start fox hunting in SE1, and was convinced that if he didn't say that he was making a jokish comment people would actually take him seriously - those who have met him will know why! - Tally HO!)
Monday 24 January 2005 10.42am
markandjoan Wrote:
> However, the list dates from 1969 and so may not
> be up to date. You may
> wish to contact the Letter Box Study Group -
> their contact details can be
> found on their website www.lbsg.org.
> I hope you find this information useful and that
> it helps your discussion."
> ---------------------------

I've had the following reply from the Letter Box Study Group:

Glad to hear from you and that you are interested in finding letter boxes.
As a group we have records of locations that are available to members. You can find a membership forms on our website and it is excellent value too

Happy hunting

It costs 8 to join....
Tuesday 25 January 2005 8.28pm
Oh God, this is becoming another obsession...-

I've just spent four days in the Irish Republic spotting rare Victorian pillar boxes (now painted green of course!) on practically every corner of small towns in Co Wicklow.

I even photographed a particularly fine Hexagonal Penfold!
Sunday 20 March 2005 9.59pm
I was walking part of the Capital Ring this weekend. I hadn't realised that the Crystal Palace to Streatham section goes via Hermitage Road and Beulah Hill in Upper Norwood - the junction of which roads is home to one of the Edward VIII pillar boxes.

It was a bit of a disappointment. It has had such a poor paint job over the years that the distinctive cypher is not very sharp at all. I managed to get a poorly focused shot with the camera thing built into my 'phone. Being something of a late adopter on all portable technologies, I now have to work out whether I can e-mail that to myself.

Can anyone think of a pretext (e.g. good pub) for visiting Nunhead Lane to justify seeking out the other one within strolling distance?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: