Rare postboxes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5
JonR Friday 21 January 2005 10.35am
why TVIC Lang Rabbie - that's an absolutely excellent idea, a summer project to be completed before the next round of cider making starts.

stranger things than this have been done as practical jokes, and hoaxes.
markandjoan Friday 21 January 2005 10.45am
I thought I was getting the hang of these acronyms after 8 years training people to use the Internet :-(
What on earth is TVFIC? Google list 49 instances, 2 on SE1, the rest seem to be mostly on German web sites, so clearly it's been invented here! UTMUYOA!

(Unfair To Make Up Your Own Acronyms)

Mark
(Made-up Acroynyms Reduce Karma)
Siduhe Friday 21 January 2005 10.52am
TFIC is a [mostly] SE1 invention - Tongue Firmly in Cheek...

See here for the definitive list.
JonR Friday 21 January 2005 10.57am
TVFIC - tongue VERY firmly in cheek

(used by Mapmaker when he wanted to start fox hunting in SE1, and was convinced that if he didn't say that he was making a jokish comment people would actually take him seriously - those who have met him will know why! - Tally HO!)
The Lady Miss Jo Jo Monday 24 January 2005 10.42am
markandjoan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> However, the list dates from 1969 and so may not
> be up to date. You may
> wish to contact the Letter Box Study Group -
> their contact details can be
> found on their website www.lbsg.org.
>
> I hope you find this information useful and that
> it helps your discussion."
> ---------------------------

I've had the following reply from the Letter Box Study Group:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello
Glad to hear from you and that you are interested in finding letter boxes.
As a group we have records of locations that are available to members. You can find a membership forms on our website and it is excellent value too

http://www.lbsg.org.

Happy hunting

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It costs 8 to join....
Lang Rabbie Tuesday 25 January 2005 8.28pm
Oh God, this is becoming another obsession...-

I've just spent four days in the Irish Republic spotting rare Victorian pillar boxes (now painted green of course!) on practically every corner of small towns in Co Wicklow.

I even photographed a particularly fine Hexagonal Penfold!
Lang Rabbie Sunday 20 March 2005 9.59pm
I was walking part of the Capital Ring this weekend. I hadn't realised that the Crystal Palace to Streatham section goes via Hermitage Road and Beulah Hill in Upper Norwood - the junction of which roads is home to one of the Edward VIII pillar boxes.

It was a bit of a disappointment. It has had such a poor paint job over the years that the distinctive cypher is not very sharp at all. I managed to get a poorly focused shot with the camera thing built into my 'phone. Being something of a late adopter on all portable technologies, I now have to work out whether I can e-mail that to myself.

Can anyone think of a pretext (e.g. good pub) for visiting Nunhead Lane to justify seeking out the other one within strolling distance?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions