residents parking zones

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 25 July 2002 11.56pm

I live in Tanner St east of Tower Bridge Rd. Apparantly Southwark are planning a residents parking zone in this area (Grange) and have had a team of private consultants consulting the local residents on whether they want it or not. Report due out next week. However they havent asked anyone in my block!! Seems like poor value for money to me. Anyone else in Reilly Rd etc been asked? or not??

Friday 26 July 2002 11.35am
I received a questionnaire about three weeks ago with details of the plan.
Sunday 28 July 2002 12.18am

was it good / bad /ugly........

and where do you live??

Tuesday 30 July 2002 10.07pm
Rob, you unfortunately missed the five "Traffic Management Exhibition" dates of 16th to 20th July which showed all the detailed proposals. Phone Southwark Regeneration on 0800 616823 for a leaflet and to discuss the plans with the Council's consultants. They said that they wanted their questionnaires back by 26th July, but you could plead ignorance.

Tanner Street will become one-way eastbound, with a new cycle lane westbound. The pavements and pedestrian crossing points will be improved, also "localised traffic calming", but no 20MPH zone planned for the Tanner Street area.

As far as the scheme goes, well I suppose it's OK. I wanted to see more restriction of motor traffic on Bermondsey Street which is a white van/taxi rat-run, and currently enjoying a ready-mix concrete truck every five minutes thanks to "More London" construction. And better crossings on Tower Bridge Road, which is outside the study area.
Also, isn't making Tanner Street one-way going to *increase* the speed of the traffic?
Thursday 8 August 2002 8.02pm
As a resident of Pages Walk I would vote for resident's parking zones/permits as I am fed up with being unable to use my car on a week day without being unable to park back in the street, because people drive into work from outside the area and know that Pages Walk is the cheapest parking for the City i.e. free.

We pay significant rates to Southwark and by and large I am happy with what I get in return, but I do believe as a resident in the area I should get preferential treatment for being able to park my car.

When Ken's token 5 kicks in, Pages Walk and other roads like it close to the City will become even worse and we should get resident's permits installed as a matter of course to stop the sharp eyed car commuter from making the problem even worse.
Friday 9 August 2002 8.17am
Thanks for all the replies. Some thoughts:

I actually live East of Tower Bridge Rd, Just outside the congestion zone and outside the traffic management proposals I think. That's why I'm concerned about our residents parking!! You guys 50m away get inside the zone AND a traffic management plan! We haven't even got any yellow lines so people park both sides and block the street!!

Anyone who wants to email Southwark about Residents Zones can email:
as he is dealing with the new proposals. I agree the day time parking is a nightmare. However in my opinion it would be better to get rid of all the cars (and I would happily ditch mine if no-one else had one). Too much pollution from Tower Bridge Rd for my liking.

Anyway Cheers all.

Saturday 10 August 2002 1.53pm
A consultation pamphlet was delivered to residents in Grange road giving several ideas, and with a series of questions regarding parking. This was done several months ago, and I do not know how widely it was circulated.
Sunday 11 August 2002 9.43pm
Not widely enough as we didn't get it!! I have to say its not that impressive if the council is spending our council tax on private consultants who don't bother to consult!!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: