looking for Rellies

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 27 July 2002 6.36am
Hi. I am an ex Rotherhithe-an now residing in Melbourne. I am looking for my Smith rellies who were lost track of as a result of WW2. My immediate tribe moved to Blackpool during the Blitz, (cant live in a roofless house can you)?. I am now the sole survivor. Dad was Jim Smith and Mum was Clara, (nee Pead). Great GrandPa Pead was beadle of St Mary's Rotherhithe during the late 1800's. We lived in Cathay St just down the road from the Angel, The old house is torn down now. I used to play in Southwark Park and as a kid attended St Josephs RC school.
My rich uncle George Smith lived in Long Lane, he was an ex Cooper by trade. Dad's favourite watering hole was The Old Justice. (He was sometimes known to take a wee drop for his health in the Red Lion in Paradise St). There was also an Aunt Rose whose husband ran a Pub. If any of this rings a bell with anybody I'd appreciate a line or two
regards
Bill Smith
Saturday 27 July 2002 12.26pm
I think I once met someone named Smith.
Sunday 28 July 2002 7.48am
Hi Bill,
once of my cousins Dad ws a James Smith who lived Otford House 50 feet from Long Lane, he died from T.B. in the 1930's his wife followed him a year to day later...left three kids, Leslie, Alice ( still alive) and Jimmy who died at exactly the same age as his parents on the same day...spooky aint it?

I have a pile of birth and death certificates, I trawl through them later and see if there are any connections to a Pead...

Your rich uncle may have made the barrels for the leather trade which used to store the barrel containing the skins on what is now leathermarket park as I recall, when they broke open us 'orrible kids used to get sticks and poke in, it stunk and the skins inside reminded me of slimey chamois leathers! or Courages Brewery at Horsleydown..

I think their is someone called Pead where I am working...perhaps your related?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: