Borough Market Calendar humbug

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 16 December 2004 6.09pm
Dear All,

Just popped in and bought the Borough Market Calender recently advertised on the weekly email sent from your website.

Don't normally complain, but can't help but feel cheated...

Thought the calendar might contain lovely photos of the market or traders and the like. Instead there are some 11 Macro pictures of various fruit or Veg that could have been taken on any sainsbury's store and one picture on the cover of the market giving a misleading view of what's in store.

Thouroghtly disapointed and would not recomend this as an Xmas present to any prospective last minute shoppers.

What a jilt!
Sunday 19 December 2004 11.26pm
Did anyone get the book? Is it better than the calendar?
Monday 20 December 2004 12.58pm
Borough Market Book was also a disappointment.

Borough Market started with Henrietta Greens Food Fair. False It did not.
It started with Brindisa, Turnips and Neals Yard. It may have come to prominence after Green, but there are enough of us who shopped quarterly at Brinidsia, then monthly etc etc and who still shop there now.

Roast the restaurant is open. False it is not.
This wouldnt be so bad if there wasnt a whole section on the restaurant, or if work had started on the restaurant, or if a contract ahd been signed

Quotes from a pile of chefs who 'allegedly' shops at Borough Market. i doubt they do.
Some nice photos - but a lot missing.
Sadly I bought 3 to give as gifts! Still they are going to people who wont know that the book is a quick and dirty 'let's do a Borough market BOok in time for Christmas' .

Borough Sue
Monday 20 December 2004 1.29pm
Sue - agree re the Henrietta Green claim. Quite few of the locals have commented on this latest piece of mis-leading self publicity - but it's now in print [a whole page to herself!] so it must be true.....

The only chef [if you can call him that] I've seen shopping at the market is Jamie Oliver who used to be quite a regular. It's more likely that the other chefs mentioned buy from the wholesale side and send someone to collect on their behalf.

However, the book claims to be a celebration of BM and on the whole I think it succeeds - the photos by Jason Lowe capture the essence of the place and I don't think the inaccuracies are enough to get it branded as a 'quick and dirty' effort.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: