Real Xmas Tree

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 18 December 2004 9.36pm
Having flogged round Tesco OKR, the new Asda, B&Q and other local hell holes, I have yet to find a place locally selling decent quality real Xmas trees. Anyone recommend somewhere?

Saturday 18 December 2004 11.13pm
I got mine from a small grocery shop at the to of Drury Lane (almost at the end, by High Holborn). They only seem to stock mini ones though, which is ideal for me.
Sunday 19 December 2004 12.54am
Borough Market was packed with them on Friday.
Sunday 19 December 2004 7.27am
Why not try East Street market today? I was in Borough Market yesterday and they were all over the place but it's not Saturday any more. Anyway, East Street is a cool place for everything.
Sunday 19 December 2004 9.49am
Borough Market, or Igloo Flowers on Bermondsey Street, or Woods on TBR.
Sunday 19 December 2004 10.51am
The price differential between Borough Market and East St would be interesting.
Sunday 19 December 2004 3.09pm
At Borough Market I saw a finger being pointed out of a car Saturday week ago, and a Christmas tree seller then point to a small fir: "That one? 45," he said with a straight face, to the owner of the finger.

Great produce at BM but if you want value (and don't like the monocultural atmosphere of 'Hampstead-on-Thames') it's East Street Market every time.
Sunday 19 December 2004 5.05pm
Yes I do agree, B.M is getting unbearably poncy. Shame
Sunday 19 December 2004 5.09pm
As Samuel pointed out, Woods on TBR. They served me a fine tree.
Good shape, broad, lush needles, gorgeous.
Don't be bashful about haggling either.
Sunday 19 December 2004 7.32pm
I'm curious to understand what some of you mean by 'poncy' and how the market is getting this way - is it the perception / reality that prices are high [they probably
always will be by comparison with East St] or is it that some of you dislike the type of foodie outlets that have set up there?

It may be regarded by some as a mixed blessing and it's all too easy to slag off something that becomes popular and drags in 'outsiders' who behave as if the place is a theme park. However the effort of a core of traders who created the foundation of the retail offering [which hardly existed until fairly recent history] has resulted in an amenity that has helped to revive the vitality of this area. Neals Yard was one of the first food outlets in the area when the retail market only operated on the third weekend each month and I recall a petition looking for support for it to be allowed to open every weekend - seems remarkable now that there were ever any doubts that it could be commercially successful. Do some of you now think it is getting dangerously close to shooting itself in the collective foot?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: