Developments

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 20 December 2004 1.37pm
Out for a trot along the river I noticed that they are demolishing the landing stage opposite the Belfast ie on the cold side of the river). Anyone know what's going on? Likewise the Bermondsey St side of the car park/antiques market.
I'm still waiting to hear from Southwark as to why they have let a chunk of OUR Southwark park (near Norwegian church roundabout) be overtaken by a pet cemetry and fenced off.
Monday 20 December 2004 10.07pm
Harry - did you see my response to your original post in "Another bit of green gone..." Or do you mean another plot of the park?

Lang Rabbie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are we talking about the site on the corner of
> Lower Road and Jamaica Road in SE16?
>
> This is the Albins Memorial Garden - AFAIK for
> the ashes of people not pets

http://www.albins.co.uk/garden.htm

> IMHO, it is appallingly designed - in particular
> the new wall inside the railings on the road side.
> IIRC It is less of a blot seen from inside the
> park, because there is a hedge.
>
> What I don't know is whether Albins bought the
> site from Southwark or have always owned it - did
> they just accept money when the roundabout was
> rejigged for railings to match the realigned park
> railings?

the thread got rather highjacked with a debate about Metro Central
Monday 20 December 2004 10.21pm
thanks for the update, Rab. As you can see I'm incensed. I'll post when I know what happened.
Monday 20 December 2004 10.33pm
I'm confused about this - is it Albin's Memorial Garden you're talking about, Harry? According to their website, it's been there since 1999 - is this not correct? I've certainly not noticed it before, but then I don't go that way much.
Monday 20 December 2004 11.28pm
I think the concrete block boundary wall immediately behind the railings has been there less than twelve months.
Tuesday 21 December 2004 9.00am
Sorry, I'm the culprit who hijacked the Green debate for Metro Central..but the point is that there is development going on which none of us really can nip in the bud...we need to keep abreast of the planning stages and get our word in at source. Who do we know at GHQ of the movers and shakers? We need a mole, urgently!!!
Tuesday 21 December 2004 12.03pm
I think there has been a bit of OUR park pinched.

I saw people putting up markers adjacent to the bone orchard a few days before the big mass 10k run. I assumed it was finishing tunnel tapes or some such.

I jogged through a few days later to find that a strip of park had been appropriated by said dead person's place and a fence stuck up.

TLMJJ, Albin's might have been there since 1899 but the addition to their land has been taken from OUR park in the last few weeks. It's as obvious as a tarantula on an angel cake.
Tuesday 21 December 2004 10.21pm
It is possible that Albins might have had to put a more secure (and uglier) boundary fence up if they have suffered vandalism in the memorial gardens.

Has the outer boundary deviated from the site plan on their website?

Because of the shortage of burial space for Southwark, I wouldn't be surpised if the Borough did some deal to provide space for a garden for ashes, but I would be concerned if Albins are making money out of selling columbarium plots within it.

Albins must be responsible for an awful lot of lucrative Death Notices classified advertising .... I wonder if the South London Press wouldl investigate any potential scandal about this site?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: