Local Football Club

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 20 December 2004 10.31pm
Hi

Does anyone know of any local football clubs? I've heard of a Waterloo FC, but couldn't find anything on them. It's for my 6 year old (my playing days are long gone...).
Monday 20 December 2004 10.38pm
Waterloo Football Club is for 7-25 year olds, apparently.

Email waterloofcs@aol.com

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 20 December 2004 10.40pm
Thanks for that. Do you know where they are based/their address by chance?
Tuesday 21 December 2004 10.21am
There's football in Archbishops Park every Saturday from 10.00-12.00am with Fulham Football in the Community coaches. Its free. They also play occassional tournaments at Larkhall or on Clapham Common.

Can't resist a bit of local politics though.

Friends of Archbishops Park started it over three years ago and raised the 8,000 a year needed to fund it. However last summer Waterloo Community Regeneration Trust and the Sports Action Zone decided we as a group did not have the 'capacity' to run it and that in both during the life of the local Regeneration Fund and following, it should be run by Waterloo Football Club. In the meantime WFC are supposed to be giving us guidence on how to run a football scheme, whilst WCRT is supposed to be mentoring us on how to run a community group. Haven't heard from either in months. With luck when the regeneration money runs out local groups will again be allowed to fund and run activities in the area. Certainly Fulham say they will be happy for us to reclaim what was once the best attended parks scheme in the borough.

You should also get on the Chelsea Football in the Community mailing list. They run good holiday schemes in Battersea Park, though you have to pay. They also run great residential football camps for the over eights. I think Millwall runs community football in Southwark (Fulham is Lambeth) and so you should try them as well.

Both Southwark and Lambeth also have community sports officers who will be able to tell you about local clubs. There is an active Portuguese one in Vauxhall who are happy to take non Portuguese and also run a girls club. I've lost their number - pity as I was thinking of signing my kids up. The Government funded Sports Action Zone should also be able to help and are based at the South Bank Employer Group Offies. There was also a sports development officer at the Colombo St sports centre. A huge amount is being pumped into local sport, though as a parent I find it difficult to identify things that my kids can do.

Also lots of private Saturday and Sunday and after school schemes in Battersea Park, though they can be expensive. If you are interested I can give you details.

In exchange does anyone know of a good kids swimming club - as opposed to lessons. (Seeing my six year old swim 25 meters butterfly is very funny, but she is already swimming with kids four to five years older and I think she would enjoy a club setting. Cider-makers can vouch for her energy....) Lambeth suggest I take them to Tooting - but I feel that is too far.
Sunday 15 June 2008 12.05am
James Hatts wrote:
Waterloo Football Club is for 7-25 year olds, apparently.
Email waterloofcs@aol.com

Hi - It's been 4 years since my original post. I emailed Waterloo FC back then, and they kindly replied to let me know their teams start at 9 years. My son is now 9, but the email address doesn't work anymore, and I still don't know where Waterloo FC actually play - Does anyone know their current email address, or even phone number/training ground address? Thanks in advance.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: