The Scotia on Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Monday 29 July 2002 12.18pm
What a great little garden they've got out the back, since the recentish refurb. A real little haven. Sure hope this is the start of things to come for SE1. We need some decent pubs!
Monday 29 July 2002 2.25pm
Really nice pub there and the garden is great in the summer.... however, one small gripe.

I was in there about a month ago on the weekend, been there lots of times before. My partner and I had a drink and a meal, the bill came to 17 pounds odd. Not a lot, but we didn't have cash, had assumed that you could use your switch card like most other pubs in the area. No they have a link cash machine in the pub for cash withdrawls to pay your bar bill. They do accept visa, but not switch/delta etc. Not having a visa we were forced to use the cash machine, which incurred the 1.25 charge for the withdrawl. However, the machine had run out of money so we only got 10 of the 20 pounds we tried to get. I explained this to the guy behind the bar (who is the manager) and he said "no problems, I will take switch" So he rung someone up and then his visa/switch terminal would suddenly accept switch - for 15 minutes only so he could process our sale.

I questioned him about why he didn't take switch regularly over the bar, to which he told me in was company policy becuase it cost them money to take switch and they make money on the link. I will not go there again, I told him so and that I would go to one of the other pubs in the area that is a bit more customer focussed.

But, if you are going there, I would encourage you all to pay by visa so that they will incur the visa fee's instead. Say something to them about switch not been accepted and hopefully they will see sense.

Monday 29 July 2002 5.13pm
The moral of the story is TAKE CASH into pubs and save face
Tuesday 30 July 2002 11.17am

Glad to see you are not going there again, because to be honest I wouldn't want people like you spoiling one of the decent pubs around here.

Guess what? pubs tend to be run as businesses not charities and as every switch transaction costs them between 1 or 2 so they have a choice, either take switch and filter the prices through to each and every customer or charge the single customer for the transaction or put in a cash machine and allow the freedom of choice for those lazy bastards who can be bothered to go to a cash machine on the way to a pub.

You know what Starbucks charge about 2 quid for a coffee, now you could make a cup of coffee at home before you leave for work for a fraction of the cost but hey it might be cold by the time you get to work, you are paying for the convenience.

So stick to your faceless all bar one's with their rude, slow inept staff and pay an extra 50p a pint for the privilege of being able to pay by switch. I'll be supping a pint in a great local pub, get served quickly by staff who are actually friendly and don't have to wait half an hour to get served.

Viva la fiver!!!
Tuesday 30 July 2002 12.01pm
Hi Biscuit Boy.

Jeepers, do Starbucks charge 2 quid for a coffee, I don't know, I wouldn't go near the place, much prefer to stick to Monmouth Coffee (proper coffee, not the scalded flavoured milk that you buy at starbucks). Haven't been to an All bar one/slug and lettuce/weatherspoon pub in the last few years either. I would much prefer to go to Simon the tanner, The leather exchange or the other one on Weston street (it's name escapes me).

Do you know where the nearest cash machine to the Scotia bar is, I would think either London Bridge station or the Natwest just south of Tower Bridge. A bit of a pain when it's raining and you only live a hundred yards from the Scotia.

Luckily I have moved now (you'll be pleased as I am further away from the Scotia :-)) and there is a cash machine right over the road from my new flat so I won't get caught out like this again. And guess what, the Anchor on Bankside is now my nearest pub and I agree with everything said in the other thread (but they do accept switch hehehe).

I would have thought that the Scotia would have accepted switch on orders over 10 quid or so, offer to run a tab if you leave your card and then when you go, there's one bill to pay, one transaction fee. They would probably make more money this way as people can keep on drinking and enjoying the good atmostphere and service of the pub without having to duck our the door to get some more cash if the don't want to use the link.

Enjoy your pint.

Wednesday 31 July 2002 12.21pm
Personally, I avoid paying for drinks whenever possible, so thanks to JohnR for the Scotia tip. I'll remember to take my Electron card next time.

Who needs cash when you've got Mondex?
Wednesday 31 July 2002 12.28pm
Biscuit Boy you have a lot of anger in you! I have been reading your threads and you remind me of Militant Mandy, a character from Viz but in male form. he he he he. take a chill pill man!
Thursday 1 August 2002 10.21am
Claudisa you are right, I read over my post and it seem a little vicious.

Sorry John (I have been getting any lately!) Agree with your choce of pubs though and the neares cash amchine to the Scotia would be Barclays by the antiques market

All I am saying is no matter what type of card you pay with the credit card company/bank makes money and this comes from somewhere. If you use the cash machine in the pub you pay it direct, if you pay at the bar they cover their costs by adding a few pence to every pint or meal.

In the US if you use a card in any cashpoint or if you write a cheque from a personal account you get charged a fee it's all about what you are prepared to pay for convenience

It just gets my blood boiling that people cause a fuss about things like this and encouraging people to 'pay by visa so that they will incur the visa fee's instead' is a little petty minded.

For god's sake we need quality pubs and restaurants around here which actually provide good service. I am passionate about the regeneration of this area. I've worked here for 2 years and have to say it's probably the best place i've been based in London. In a year or so I'm looking to sell my business and maybe start up a small bar around here, mainly for fun rather than profit (so paying by switch won't be an issue) and I would like to think that it would be an antidote to these sterile chains of bars/coffee shops that are slowly encroaching into SE1

End of rant xxxxxxxxx
Thursday 1 August 2002 10.35am
Sell your business quick (what is it anyway?), and open a decent bar PLEASE!!!!
Thursday 1 August 2002 4.39pm
I've heard it's much better in there than it used to be now!

Does anyone know, are there any funky bars either open or opening soon - which play wicked music, have a little dancefloor area on special nights, plus serve wicked food, especially Sunday Roasts? Not too much to ask, surely?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: