Christmas Card Recycling

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 5 January 2005 10.17am
Is it happening? Where?
Wednesday 5 January 2005 10.27am
Branches of WH Smith and Tescos are supporting the Woodland Trust through card recycling....
http://www.woodland-trust.org.uk/recycling/

(But I'm sure the team at the Elephant Tesco will lose the recycling box)

Wednesday 5 January 2005 11.36am
the tesco in OKR had one last week
Wednesday 5 January 2005 2.15pm
I thought this was going to suggest that we saved our cards, and sent them back to the original sender next year. Surely this is the nearest to "proper" recycling?

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 5 January 2005 2.35pm
Ivanhoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought this was going to suggest that we saved
> our cards, and sent them back to the original
> sender next year. Surely this is the nearest to
> "proper" recycling?
>
> ...if you press it, they will come

A pedant responds:

Follow the mantra of sustainability

reduce
Why send out Christmas cards when Mr Hatts has his free forum on the Interweb thingy for you to send out your Christmas greetings and you can give what you saved directly to a good cause.

reuse
I think this is what Ivanhoe is proposing (TFIC) although you might get cut out of close family members wills if you try this one too close to home.

recycle
As per the Woodland Trust scheme
Wednesday 5 January 2005 4.34pm
I wasn't being all that TIC actually.

I send cards every yr, and feel guilty every yr when I throw them away after a couple of weeks. However, as you indicate above, I'm not sure that I'd have the nerve to leave the grannies cardless at Christmas in order to save a few twigs.

[my understanding is that the recycling mantra is that it isn't "reduce, or reuse, or recyle", but rather "reduce, (and if you can't do that then the next preferable thing to do is) reuse, (and if you can't do that then the next preferable thing to do is) recycle", thus putting recycling (which we all see as hugely virtuous) as the third-best choice]

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 5 January 2005 6.30pm
Christmas Card reuse

Home-made christmas gift tags

You will need:
(a)a selection of used Christmas cards - you can get them from neighbours and colleague too lazy to take them to WH Smith's or Tesco for recycling if you ask before Twelth Night
(b)A pair of scissors for each helper -preferably pinking shears of the sort your mother/grandmother/odd Uncle Bill used for dressmaking to give an attractive "crinkled edge".
(c) Thin colourful ribbon/tape (probably half price in some sales now)
(d) small clear plastic bags [ideally, you should have been hoarding these all year]

In January:

1. Sort the Christmas cards by theme (i.e. religious, santas, snowmen, comic etc and/or colour schemes (children can usually provide assistance here)
2. Cut out one, two, three images from the front of each card.
3. Punch a hole in each tag, and attach a bit of ribbon
4. Bag them in dozens/whatever looks like reasonable value
5. Put out the leftover bits of card in your paper recycling box/sack.

In November/December:

1. Volunteer to help at a local Charity or voluntary group's Christmas Fair/Fayre.
2. Find the tags wherever you put them for safekeeping in January
3. Enthusiastically sell someone else's produce on another stall and loudly purchase a bag of tags from the stall they are on every hour or so to attact attention to them.

[Did my mother really do every year this to raise funds for the Village Institute Hall in the 1970s?!]

Wednesday 5 January 2005 6.49pm
Rabbie,

your mother may heve been the epitome of enterprise and frugality, but obviously omitted to tell you that pinking shears are not "to give an attractive crinkled edge", but to reduce fraying.
Wednesday 5 January 2005 6.59pm
TUMJ, I do hope that post was TFIC!

[Drat - I can't edit the earlier post to add the missing comma.]

For the avoidance of doubt from any SE1 readers eager to try this ecologically sound hobby - the pinking shears are optional to give an "attractive crinkled edge" to the gift tags. IMHO square edged ones will be just as saleable.
Wednesday 5 January 2005 7.03pm
Perhaps in minimalist SE1. The crinkly ones are more "W.I." I think, altogether more traditionally "village hall".
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: