Bermondsey Sq

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 29 July 2002 8.56pm
I'm not surprised they got 600+ signatures against the proposals, the more I read about them the less confident I get that we can trust the Council to look after the market, Square, Conservation area etc. If the LibDems want to start their governance in a positive way they should keep to their election pledge and reject the current proposal, and start again with a new competition.
Tuesday 30 July 2002 3.04am
Being born in Snowsfeilds, Bermondsey, and now living in Australia I am Interest to know where Bermondsey Square is located. Is it in Towerbridge Road?
David
Tuesday 30 July 2002 9.41am
As a resident of Bermondsey that overlooks the current Bermondsey Antiques Market, I wholeheartedly endorse this letter (http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/260) objecting to the over-development of Bermondsey Square. Accordingly I strongly encourage the Lib-Dems to:
1. listen to their constituents and
2. adhere to their stated position (as stated in their Focus newsletter).

Now is the time to demonstrate your integrity.

[to David Fryer: the Bermondsey Square development regards the paved lots at the corner of Tower Bridge Road and Long Lane.]
Digger Dirt
Wednesday 31 July 2002 8.43am
I heard a rumour that Southwark Council were due yesterday to vote compulsory purchase of the roadways/garden in front of the old houses in Bermondsey Square, against all the objections of the residents. This apparently is to ensure total control of the land in the square, even though there is not yet planning approval for any development. And of course to ensure that the council decides how much the rights over this space is actually going to cost them.

And so that they can sell the space to yuppies for parking.

Anybody know the outcome of the council meeting? Why are these things never published? Democracy in action? Not a chance.
MM
Thursday 1 August 2002 1.44pm
Once again, at the risk of invoking expressions involving parapets and heads, I actually think Southwark sould go ahead with these excellent proposals. I live within spitting distance of the site in question, and I would welcome a commercial development of this nature. The current dearth of quality commercial ventures in this end of town (cf: the awful standard of retail on Tower Bridge Road, not to mention the complete lack of any decent bars or pubs etc.) would be rectified by a speedy activation of these plans.

SOUTHWARK COUNCIL: "Do it, do it, do it". You know you want to.
Digger
Thursday 1 August 2002 4.29pm
A bar and restaurant or two is on the cards for the re-development.

I say that the square is a wasteland for most of the week. If done right, it can be a real source of local regeneration. I am not sure that building an office block and a hotel is the best solution to the problem.

I want to see more work spaces for local craftsmen. And a gym so that I can lose some weight and not cause those embarrassing delays in E & C underpasses.

I apologize to the Council - apparently the minutes of council meetings are available in the local library. I will have to waddle down there and see what happened to the compulsory purchase proposal.

I still think they should be up on a web page - now that would be open.gov.uk !
Digger
Thursday 1 August 2002 4.42pm
James

As ever, you are the total star! Who needs Google?

How long do I have to wait for the minutes to appear; the web page says "Minutes not yet available" for 24th July.

Digger
Friday 2 August 2002 12.56pm
Where can I see these plans that have everyone up in arms?
Monday 5 August 2002 1.09pm
Ellie - the Urban Catalyst proposals for the square are undergoing revision and are about due for re-submission, but the old plans should still be available for public inspection at the planning offices in Portland Street. If you phone first, a planning officer will make time to talk through the plans with you. Let us know if you get any further news from him. The planning officer for this project is:

Matthew Mason
Case Officer
Southwark Regeneration
Development Control
Council Offices
"Chiltern"
Portland Street
LONDON
SE17 2ES

Tel: 020 7525 5403
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: