Fast and Cheap.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 6 January 2005 2.36pm

Happy (belated) New Year everyone.

I have used Zen for home broadband recently - and they are good and v. speedy. But they are not so cheap anymore. Which high speed internet providers have people used, which you would recommend (or suggest avoiding)? Many many thanks in advance for any suggestions which are forthcoming.

Oh, James, I have placed this in the se1 section as i of course will spend much of my time online surfing your excellent site - thus (in a very real, virtual sense) this is about the se1 area.. :o)

Thursday 6 January 2005 3.08pm
Hi red bus
I use (over a year now) and recommend:
http://www.bulldogbroadband.com

Had a few speed/connection problems last Autumn as they were upgrading their networking, which seem to have been resolved now. No problems before this or since. Fast upstream too, up to 400kbps. They have recently introduced broadband/phone service (4mb), which i'm waiting to upgrade to. Awaiting recommendations on this new service, anyone?

You could also check out this site:

http://www.adslguide.org/isps/compare.asp

good luck!

PS works like a dream with the rss feature on the london-se1 website
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/3/25099
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/3/26234
Thursday 6 January 2005 5.33pm
Bulldog - about #50 per month for 4mb & free national telephone calls.

But... can somebody tell me whether 4mb (100 times faster than dial up, near enough) will give me a noticably faster service than NTL's 500kb broadband which arrived in my street last month?

Or is that sort of speed only necessary for playing games etc. etc.
Thursday 6 January 2005 10.04pm
1 Megabit broadbean from Homechoice is good enough for us. Excellent TV service with it too.

http://www.homechoice.co.uk/hc_packages_entry-level.html
Friday 7 January 2005 2.07pm

Thanks to you all!!
Friday 7 January 2005 6.09pm
Whoa whoa whoa, sweet child of mine - I wouldn't be rushing into Bulldog's new offerings if I was you. I've had BD's 2meg service for about 2 yrs and decided to upgrade to the 4meg as the deal is v.good on paper, however their handling of it has so far been disgraceful. I asked them to co-ordinate my cut-off to the 20 Dec but they cut me off on the 6th. They couldn't reconnect me and I'm still waiting on the new service to be 'provisioned'. ETA on that is 22nd Jan.

From the forums, mine is not a unique experience at the mo. I'd wait a couple of months until they get up to speed.

Friday 7 January 2005 7.11pm
I was considering Homechoice recently but have been put off by the comments posted on HUG, the Homechoice User Group site. Now I'm completely confused and still watching crappy analogue signals that are becoming progressively crappier as the monster tower over the road rises...............Sky beckons...
Friday 7 January 2005 7.30pm
Stíofán are these problems due to you being a Bulldog customer already? as their website states that current customers cannot be upgraded to the 4mb (this has been the case since it was introduced) and that they are working on this (I guess this does involve BT in the equation too though!?).
Seems you may be a guinea pig for the cross over?

Anyway, good luck with this and please do keep us posted here.
Friday 7 January 2005 11.25pm
I have had Homechoice in SE1 for a couple of months now, and have had no problems that I didn't cause myself by plugging in cables into the wrong slots. As good as Sky for movies and better for normal TV - considering only 10-15 of the 100s of channels on Sky are worth having beyond the novelty. With Homechoice they have a single free channel that has dozens of full series available on demand. Video on demand is great - just like using a DVD player. Subscription is much cheaper, smaller box, broadband fast enough at 1Mb and no connection delays so far. Their call centre answers more quickly than Sky's and is more helpful too. And you don't have to buy the box. Sky were so unhelpful when there was no competition, and kept putting the price up on us.
Thursday 3 February 2005 11.54am
thomas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stíofán are these problems due to you being a
> Bulldog customer already? as their website states
> that current customers cannot be upgraded to the
> 4mb (this has been the case since it was
> introduced) and that they are working on this (I
> guess this does involve BT in the equation too
> though!?).
> Seems you may be a guinea pig for the cross
> over?
>
> Anyway, good luck with this and please do keep
> us posted here.

Sorry Thomas, only just seen your reply. Well to keep you updated, I'm still without my broadband - couple of days shy of two months now. You wouldn't believe the story of incompetence. The move from one speed to another is not easy with any supplier as far as I can see, but Bulldog have really made a meal of it. Their Customer Support is rubbish due to the fact that they are obviously overloaded with new requests & technical difficulties and are suffering . I'm sure it will be fine once I'm actually connected but I wish I'd seen the HomeChoice offering before getting Bulldog to take over my BT line (part of the offering) as I think it would have been a better option for me. On the face of it I couldn't lose - Bulldog were going to double my speed, take away the cost of BT line rental and only wanted 1 month contract with the first 2 months for free - no doubt the cause of the interest in their offering, but the hassles I've had/still have have been too much.

I stick by my original post - leave it a couple of months (more) and then maybe they'll have ironed out the creases.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: