"Shard of glass" - London Bridge Tower

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Friday 7 January 2005 1.50pm
Just as an FYI....

I contacted the developers and found out the following about the proposed London Bridge Tower:

"Demolition of the existing building on the site will commence in the autumn/winter of 2005,
with construction of London Bridge Tower starting in autumn of 2006, completing in 2009."

The existing building is the Pricewaterhouse Coopers building directly above London Bridge station and will be the tallest building ever demolished in this country apparently!! So expect plenty of trucks and HGVs in that area from this Autumn onwards!!

Friday 7 January 2005 2.34pm
What will happen to all the traffic going over London Bridge? I would not fancy using either the tube or the main line station there.....

is it still the pointy thing going up?
Friday 7 January 2005 2.54pm
Definitely a job for the ghost of Fred Dibnah - hack away a corner, set fire to the timbers, wait a day or two then watch it fall majestically sideways... "did you like that?".

Presumably it will be a slightly more scientifically planned dismantling, rather than full-on demolition, but it should be interesting.

I just nipped out in the works helicopter to get this piccie while it's still there...

Maybe James should start selling some SE1 branded hard hats to the lucky citizens of SE1.

mmmm... Friday....

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 7 January 2005 2.55pm by markandjoan.
Friday 7 January 2005 4.18pm
It is a VERY scientifically planned dismantling. I spoke to the developer's person some time ago, and cynical as I am about what developers say to 'community representatives', they do seem to have it fairly sussed. I dont remember the details of it, but both the demolition and the building work had obviously been carefully thought about with minimising disruption in mind. I'm sure it will still be difficult, but I for one was pleased and slightly surprised with the efforts they had made. The reality of course remains to be seen.
Friday 7 January 2005 6.55pm
I took this in august 2004 from the kitchen window.
Can't wait for demolition day and watching the shard rise.

Friday 7 January 2005 9.52pm
I dont think that's the right building, Phoney. The one being demolished is the PWC one right on top of the station.
Friday 7 January 2005 10.18pm
I think that is the right one (but I may be wrong...)

"The site is located adjacent to London Bridge Railway Station and is occupied by Southwark Towers, a block of offices completed in the 1970's which rises to about 120m in height and comprises 19,881 sqm of floor space. There are currently about 2000 people employed in the building. The office block has its main foyer entrance at the station concourse level, and is serviced by vehicles at ground floor level from St Thomas Street. Access from the base of the office to Guy's Hospital is achieved by means of a footbridge which crosses over St Thomas Street." from http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor/planning_decisions/strategic_dev/mar2002/london_bridge_tower_appendix.rtf

Just so we're sure which building we're talking about . . .

Friday 7 January 2005 10.59pm
Looks like I got the wrong building, but I seem to remember a previous thread saying the above
tower had also been bought for demolition to allow easier access and space for the Shards
Friday 7 January 2005 11.28pm
The last reports (in September) suggested that the sentiment in the property market was that Sellar (the developer) wouldn't get any finance for the project without a blue chip client as a "pre-let".

What has changed???
Saturday 8 January 2005 12.14pm
Appart from the financial constraints as mentioned by Rabbie, the timing of the work is all tied up with the London Bridge Station redevelopment, which in itself is all tied up with Thameslink 2000, and with rail finance. A tangled web of interdependency. I too would be interested to know whether anything has changed.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: