Life in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Sunday 9 January 2005 7.21pm
Dear all, after following this forum for ages I've finally got around to registering as one of my 2005 resolutions. Hello. However, it comes at a time when I am thinking about moving out of my area (nr Tower Br) because I have found after living here for nearly four years I still haven't made any mates here. Now I'm not that much of a saddo but I think it might be the area. Where can a person (F or M) go by themselves here and feel comfortable? Is there more that can be done to build a bit more of a friendly RL community? Is it just me after all (oh dear!)....? Anyone got any ideas/comments?
Happy 2005
Java
Sunday 9 January 2005 10.34pm
Come along to the next social and meet some people!
Monday 10 January 2005 12.04am
Hi Java,
Glad you finally got up the courage to post. I found it hard to find like minded friends in the area too (have lived here for years) and this forum has been the best way. Join the book group or the cider group or come to the next social etc & you'll find that we are local & friendly! We often meet for an informal pint in The Royal Oak too. A great mix of people of all age groups and interests.
Monday 10 January 2005 11.31am

indeedy.

...of course, as a rule i would tend to avoid people who are prepared to post extensively on any these kinds of fora, but se1 is very much the exception, and everyone I have met from here is well worth knowing. And fun too.
Monday 10 January 2005 9.43pm
Seconded, Redbus. All internet users are weird, apart from us. & Plum organised a splendid Christmas party for us. More heroically (heroinically?), Fabhat tried to rescue our mail & appeared on national news from her endeavours.

The only downside is that the Royal Oak is now a no-go area, as one might appear there with real friends to find virtual friends in residence... (TFIC)
Tuesday 11 January 2005 8.58am
HI

I moved here in the summer- here being near Canada water actually but it is really hard to meet everyone- because if you ever bump into a neighbour they are just off to work or out.... would love to come along to a social- keep me posted about when and where!

Andrea
Tuesday 11 January 2005 9.00am
the physical incarnation of your virtual friends is not real?
Tuesday 11 January 2005 1.40pm
I think it depends upon where you live a bit.

That is - if it mostly lots of young professionals in your block of flats (or loft-stylee development) or abouts, they tend to be always popping in and out and off. Where I live, there are also lots of old(er) people who live there, who are good for a gossip (and a cup of tea).

When I was looking for a flat to rent about a year ago (moving from one bit of se1 to another), I looked at some places where you just felt that people didn't really talk to each other - in part there was no communal space (other than a car park) and when I asked the people who were moving out if they knew their neighbours, they said just that - that they didn't have the time to get to know them.

I think I am also saying that you should look for places where people are hanging about doing very little. A friend of mine kept joining classes to meet other people, but the other people kept just dashing off after the classes. That's why pubs are good - cos there isn't much else to do but drink and talk - and you can always hang around with a friend if you feel uncomfortable looking like a lonely alcoholic with no mates. Or get a bar job.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11 January 2005 1.41pm by red bus.
Tuesday 11 January 2005 4.12pm
It's quite extreme but a baby helps ... if you could borrow one from a friend for the afternoon, you'll spend the whole time chatting ... seems to work especially if you are a male pushing a pram ... so my husband tells me!!

Book group and cider group might be a tad easier!!
Tuesday 11 January 2005 4.27pm
I think there's quite a lot of social things going on that spin off this site. But maybe, java, you might want to suggest something yourself? Most suggestions seem to meet with at least some takers (i.e. I bet that if there's something you like doing, then there's probably someone on here who'd be very happy to do it with you. Even if it doesn't involve cider at all.)

[Oh, and welcome]

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: