Where's the best place to live in Shad Thames?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Monday 10 January 2005 6.32pm
I'm looking to move into the Shad Thames area and was wondering whether anybody could recommend, or similarly advise against, any particular buildings/wharfs? I would especially appreciate feedback on the Cardamom Building, Caraway Apartments and Butler's and Colonial Wharf.

Many thanks for your help.
Tuesday 11 January 2005 1.13pm
The boats moored along the riverfront look nice. Or there is Shad Thames South (Bermondsey St).

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11 January 2005 1.13pm by red bus.
Tuesday 11 January 2005 2.43pm
We live in Boss House - an excellent building, and I previously lived in The Circle (not as much character as it doesn't have original features, but still great).

Not two sure about the other two, but Butlers & Colonial is split in two - the old part (loads of original features such as exposed brickwork and wooden beams) and the new part (fairly newly built and very little character).
Tuesday 11 January 2005 4.22pm
I think one option is just to the east of Shad Thames, across the small footbridge (Bermondsey Wall West or Mill Street) - somewhat quieter and better value than Shad Thames proper.
Bear in mind that Shad thames gets rather busy and noisy in summer on the water front, with all the bars and restaurants.
Anonymous User
Tuesday 11 January 2005 4.24pm
Some friends of mine used to have a place in New Concordia Wharf, Mill Street - it was gorgeous and just a stones through from the lovely La Lanterna!
Tuesday 11 January 2005 4.54pm
I rented in the Shad Thames area for three years before moving out in October 2004.

The first year was spent in Tamarind Court overlooking Maguire Street. The main issue for me with Tamarind Court was traffic noise (mainly taxis and early morning binmen twice a week) from Maguire Street. I was in a first floor flat and it was a bit noisy, but not too bad. NIce block, but I've heard there have been burglaries there since I left. I moved out due to a sewage flood in the flat above mine! Dynorod came along and found a massive piece of timber wedged down the waste pipe... stuck between my floor and the floor above !!!!

The remaining time I stayed in Carraway Apartments.

Cayenne Court (which comprises Carraway, Ginger and Fennel Buildings) is a superb development. I lived in one of the apartments overlooking the LSE student block out the back of Carraway.

The students seem to just work, work, work and so there was very little in the way of noise disturbance which was great. Very little noise from neighbours too. These apartments have good sound insulation. And I very rarely needed to use the electric heating as the flat stayed warm throughout the winter (5th floor).

LSE has binmen visit once or twice a week and I imagine if you are on the first or second floor it could be a nuisance. I was on the fifth so it wasn't a problem.

The porters at Cayenne Court are friendly, and they are on-site from 7am to 7pm. They were very helpful taking deliveries. There is a private gym, swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and solarium. All were kept up to a high standard.

I viewed a property in Butler's and Colonial Wharf back in 2001. Nice flat, but more expensive than Tamarind Court and Cayenne Court.

If you have a car, parking around Shad Thames can be a pain if you don't have allocated parking, although in three years I needed to use the NCP car park on Gainsford Street only once. A 12 month on-street parking permit cost 76 last year.

CHL estate agents on Shad Thames seemed to usually have the most properties for Cayenne Court for rent and sale.

If you'd like to know more about the area just post some more questions here and I'll try my best to answer them. :)

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 11 January 2005 5.03pm by MarkBJ.
Tuesday 11 January 2005 6.17pm
Thank you so much this - the info on Cayenne Court is just what I have been looking for. Similar feedback on any other buidings would be much appreciated too. I'm looking at moving in about 6 months , so I'll probably be posting again with further questions later. Many thanks!!!
Tuesday 11 January 2005 7.12pm
I have lived in Horselydown Mansions since 1998.

Its on Lafone Street and a good place to live, although there is no lift or porter. Its only small (20 flats) and all are different (1-2 bedrooms). Ground floor have gardens, top floors terraces and other floors small balconies. Developer London Town did an OK job on the refurb back in 1997. We also own the freehold, so no nasty suprises or costs.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday 11 January 2005 11.20pm

We live in Crown Apartments which is opposite the River Bar - great views of Tower Bridge, City Hall, the river and the City but very noisy especially in the summer when we have to open the door to our balcony.

I have been looking to buy in the area so have looked in all the buildings you mention. We missed out on a lovely place in Cardomom Building which was a shame as it was spacious and looked right over the cobbled walkway of Shad Thames.

I also have been impressed with properties in Boss House - loads of character, 24 porterage, quiet and still within a good walking distance to London Bridge. Some on the higher floors were bright because of the big windows, which a few other warehouse conversions in the area (ie Anise Building which oozed character with the exposed brickwork but was very dark because of small windows and low ceilings).

Just a stab in the dark - does anyone on this forum know of anyone wanting to sell their property privately - would be very interested in Cardomom and Boss House.

Wednesday 12 January 2005 9.05am
"The students seem to just work, work, work and so there was very little in the way of noise disturbance ..."
Wow! The LSE students must have changed in the last few years. A friend of mine used to rent in Thames Heights (which, incidentally, must be the worst building in the entire Shad Thames district), and whenever we visited him the LSE students opposite would be having water pistol fights across their balconies. Admittedly, this was May/June so would probably be due to post-exams-letting-the-hair-down, etc...

In the summer time, the LSE halls house foreign students on summer placements, and they, too, like to party.

For quietness, The Cooperage is a good bet. It's set in its own private courtyard 4 floors up, and several flats overlook the quieter side of Tower Bridge Piazza. There's also a good selection of 3 bed flats there.
I've heard good things about The Flag Store, also.

Of course, with Shad Thames, it all comes down to how deep your pockets are: a flat in Anchor Brewhouse? a snip at 3 million.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: