Waterloo Bridge stairs

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
JSG
Wednesday 12 January 2005 2.02pm
I usually walk to work from SE1 to WC1. The dirtiest part of the journey is actually one of the most high profile: the stairs leading from the East side of Waterloo Bridge down to the South bank by the National Theatre.

They are covered in grafitti (some very good and Banksy quality - most just sad tags by insecure needle dicks) and the steps have clearly not been cleaned since before NYE as there are many party poppers and broken beer bottles - even I have cleaned up since the New Year orgy.

My query is who has responsibility for clearing them? I suspect they may fall between lots of different possibilities - Lambeth/South bank/Pool of London even (does it come up this far)? Does anyone know so that I can request a blitz?

Wednesday 12 January 2005 11.25pm
I don't think I can ever remember walking down these stairs (or the ones on the west side of the bridge) and finding them in a state even approaching clean - such a nice welcome for those arriving on the South Bank by bus!
Tuesday 18 January 2005 1.15pm
It's not just the stairs. The whole area surrounding the South Bank, and all the approaches to it, are filthy, dangerous and off-putting. I can't believe that all those expensive, government-subsidised arts facilities put up with it, not to mention a big commercial venture like the IMAX cinema.

The underpass/bullring bit has just been refurbished - but there is no maintenance, so now it's filthy and it stinks again. The stairs are unlit and dangerous. The whole area just reeks of neglect, and some huge political failure.

Considering there was a murder in the area recently, it's high time that somebody took responsibility, and rendered themselves accountable so that we can pester the life out of them.

SE
Friday 21 January 2005 5.42pm
Rupert is right, that area is disgusting, and the pedestrian routes are inconvenient and intimidating.

The walk into town is blighted by the difficulty of actually getting onto Waterloo Bridge, because no thought has been given to pedestrians. I usually go around the top, but that means you have to take your life in your hands at the entrance to the bridge where there isn't actually a pavement.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: