Architecture Foundation: pointy metal building...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 12 January 2005 3.28pm
Some serious modern architecture appropriately enough... just announced...

"The design, by London-based Zaha Hadid, has won an international competition to design the Architecture Foundation building next to Tate Modern in Southwark. "

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/londonnews/articles/15896845

Well I like the Liebeskind extension on Holloway Road, seems in a similar vein

Mark
Wednesday 12 January 2005 3.32pm
Oddly enough Mark for a so called-luddite ( I only found out wot it meant when I found this site!) I think the building you mentioned in Holloway Road is exciting, and beautiful......
Wednesday 12 January 2005 3.34pm
I think that Luddites technically only have to resent the machinery, and of course smash it up if possible, but the building it sits in is generally outside the required grumpiness parameters...

so you can still be a Luddite if you like...

Mark

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12 January 2005 3.35pm by markandjoan.
Wednesday 12 January 2005 3.43pm
Today I spluttered into my mid afternoon cuppa as I read the Evening Standard [Property section] announcement that the Tabard Square scheme and the proposed Bermondsey Square development were 'an intelligent piece of planning by Southwark Council' that would give Long Lane 'more of an identity'. As usual the piece was so well researched they also stated that one end of Tower Bridge Road is opposite Borough Tube Station - that should throw potential newbie residents off the scent. However, a celebratory second cuppa was in order when I read that the AF comp has been won by the submission from Zaha Hadid. Images of it look fantastic and it's her first building in London [not for lack of trying to get one accepted]. Let's hope the council don't attempt to square off the corners....
Wednesday 12 January 2005 3.46pm
would have commented here but was too busy composing my other post....and thanks for adding the picture, I'm still a bit too much of a luddite to know how to do that!
Wednesday 12 January 2005 3.50pm
Really? (re Luddites and buildings). From the starting point that factory buildings would never exist if machines had not been invented, I would have imagined that Luddites would dislike and want to destroy factories whilst having neutral feelings about other architecture (modern or otherwise).

Back on topic, I agree that it looks like the Liebeskind building on Holloway Rd, and I agree that that building is attractive (to me). However, I would make these two points about the H Rd building:

1) I only saw it for the first time the other week (due to my allergy to Nth London), and, whilst thinking it looked interesting, I couldn't help immediately thinking "That's a Liebeskind building." The reason I thought that was not because I know much at all about architecture, but rather that I thought it looked exactly like the only other of his buildings I've seen (which I think was a holocaust museum, but I may well be wrong). It's interesting, but not original, and a bit dated.

2) If I was the Architecture Foundation, I think I wouldn't want something that looks like a copy of something else.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 12 January 2005 4.03pm
He also did Imperial War Museum's northern bit in Salford, and the unbuilt V&A spiral extension - there is definitely a pointy metal theme. One of those 'like it or hate it' things perhaps.

List of his projects from his slightly strange looking Web site (carefully designed to look like it was badly typed, must have been done by a designer):
http://www.daniel-libeskind.com/projects/index.html

Mark
Wednesday 12 January 2005 4.17pm
Thanks for the link Mark. Interesting. I fairly like his stuff, I just think that it makes the proposed Architecture Foundation building above look derivative, and that's probably not what they wanted to acheive.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 12 January 2005 4.37pm
There is also a Libeskind exhibition at the Barbican right now which I intend to catch before it finishes (end Jan I think).

I like the design of the AF building - I don't think it looks like a copy of the London Met university building on Holloway Road. (Though it is pointy and metalic looking.)
Wednesday 12 January 2005 4.42pm
I think Zaha Hadid has been designing "deconstructed" buildings for as long as Liebeskind has - it is just that she hasn't had as much luck getting them built (e.g. her winning design for the Cardiff Bay Millennium Centre).

Which for some people raises all sorts of questions about the status of women in architecture, which IMHO is still very much a "big swinging d*ck" profession.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: