Architecture Foundation: pointy metal building...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Wednesday 11 January 2006 7.35pm
I think that the story in the Architects' Journal (also reported on SE1 here ) that the project is delayed may actually be good news. If, as the Foundation's director is reported as saying, "the scale of the project is now bigger." then hopefully it is less likely that Hadid's building will be dwarfed by Bankside 123.
Wednesday 11 January 2006 7.55pm
BTW - the Architect's Journal also has an image of a building on New Kent Road that has just got planning permission from Southwark.

"The building's distinctive front and rear facades are designed to resemble a creeping vine, in the form of triangular cladding on the front and rear elevations."

It looks hideous in the computer image - the holes in the facade appear to be completely arbitrary shapes with no underlying logic - unlike Hadid's where although it looks crazy you know there is some fiendishly hard geometry behind every decision that you can crack if you try.

I do hope local practice Glas architects aren't losing their touch after their successful Newhams Row project.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11 January 2006 7.57pm by Lang Rabbie.
Wednesday 11 January 2006 8.11pm
I've already been in touch with Glas to try to get more details and a copy of the image to use on this website, but they haven't replied.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 12 January 2006 10.20am
Lang Rabbie - where in New Kent Road is this delightful property going to be?
Tuesday 20 June 2006 5.49pm
Pre-planning exhibition re. Architecture Foundation building next week, Wed 28 June - details here

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: