TAS Borough High Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 14 January 2005 1.23pm
This may be a bit of a controversial post as I have friends who love Tas and go there from outside of SE1...
However, I have been there twice recently and both times I was unwell afterwards. The first time we went my friend was really poorly after (tummy trouble).
The food was lovely, the service great and the place is always packed out, but I am reluctant to go again which is a shame as I don't know many restaurants in that neck of the woods (I live down the other end of the High Street.). Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Friday 14 January 2005 2.05pm
Have to say the Borough High Street Tas is the one I've been leased impressed with. When we've been to other ones the bread has always been very fresh and warm, yet here it was cold and a bit dry - asking for replacement resulted in more of the same. I'd say at the moment go to Ev down near Waterloo/Southwark Station - so few customers that there is little scope for things to go wrong, plus it's new so they're eager to impress.
Friday 14 January 2005 4.07pm

not controversial at all - it is a bit dull and although i use it a lot (for working lunches, cos it is handy to the office) i don't eat there outside of that. the ev place is great (at the moment)
Saturday 15 January 2005 10.48am
I think TAS is great and I have always had a marvellous time there,

but I have had an upset tum several times after going there

I tend to think its me, as I have had one of those York food tests done and it told me to avoid dairy produce and olives - which I try to do - but I suspect these are ingredients in TAS food.

Or could it be the turksih wine which I think is a bit rough?

Do you normally have a concrete stomach? Perhaps you need to join the fussy eaters club?
Saturday 15 January 2005 3.05pm
After saying Ev is always empty, we went there last night and the place was packed! Good food though.
Sunday 16 January 2005 10.46am
Ah, it's not just me then.....
Until recently I lived abroad and last year was living and working in a 3rd World country with very few tummy problems (apart from when I got parasites.....nice), so normally I can eat whatever I want.
What is this Ev place?
Monday 17 January 2005 4.32am
Ev is a new restaurant, bar and delicatessen, on Isabella Street, just off Hatfields. It is owned and run by the people behind Tas, and has much the same food as in Tas.

Until recently, Ev has been almost empty. According to the Tas website ( http://www.tasrestaurant.com ) Ev hasn't yet been opened, which could go some way in explaining the emptiness I've seen there over the past few weeks.

A group of four of us went to the Ev restaurant on Friday, expecting it to be empty and so assuming we wouldn't need to book a table. I had been to the bar a few times before, but only peered into the restaurant. This time, the restaurant was heaving, and we had to wait 20 minutes for a table, so we took the one free table in the bar, and bought a bottle of wine, and before long we were ushered to our table in the restaurant.

Whilst the rest of my group ordered from the set menu (starter and main course for 8.25), I didn't find anything there that caught my eye, so I ordered from their main restaurant menu. I had a smoked salmon starter (Tütsülü Somon, 3.95) followed by a seafood pasta dish (Karisik Deniz Ürünleri, 4.25). Both, I thought, were top notch, and the pasta dish was crammed so full of seafood that I still wonder how they can make a profit on a superb two course meal for under a tenner. In the normal Tas style, there was complimentary warm bread with tzatziki and a small bowl of olives.

In all, it cost 37 (including service charge) for four two-course meals, 13 for a bottle of red, and 3 for a glass of white. Everyone was more than pleased with their meals, so I think it was great value.

This place is now my favourite restaurant, and the atmosphere in the bar is completely absorbing, with the sound of flowing water coming from the back wall, and the music (sometimes soft and calming, other times a bit more eclectic) is always interesting.

See http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/25309 for more on Ev.

[Edited to amend faulty link and to replace unrecognised Turkish characters with similar looking 'standard' ones]
Monday 17 January 2005 9.45am
Went there last night for the first time. Only one other table occupied in the restaurant at about 8.30. Food great, especially cold starters we had and chicken main, which was fresh. Reasonable price. House of glass red v ordinary. Will go again though.
Monday 17 January 2005 9.48am
Should add it was EV we went to, not Borough High Street.
Wednesday 19 January 2005 11.55am
I love Tas on Borough High Street and and always feel great after eating there - full of vitamins and vegetables.
The liver dish is gorgeous, the staff are friendly without being obsequious and its a bargain.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: