South Bank Forum takes up SE1 Postal Campaign

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 16 January 2005 12.31pm
The next South Bank Forum, chaired by Kate Hoey and Simon Hughes and organised by the South Bank Employers Group, will be on Thursday 20 January 7-9pm in St John's Church, Waterloo Road and has an item on Postal Services including Melanie Corfield, Head of External Relations London and the South East, and Terry Bosworth, Delivery Services Manager for South London.

I don't know if anyone from here (James, Harriet, etc) have been invited to speak. Or if the SE1 campaign will be acknowledged. However it is a good opportunity to raise concerns. It would be sad if the audience (often the same people) fail to say much and the Post Office go off thinking all is fine.

Jubilee Gardens is the second of the three items on the agenda, and I think will be a major presentation of the new proposals, which should be interesting. Happy to buy drinks after if anyone wants to join me. But beware, the church can be very cold.
Monday 17 January 2005 12.15pm
Sarah,

They did contact me, but only to find out who they should contact at the post office. I'll do my best to go along to the meeting though...
Hat
Thursday 20 January 2005 12.04am
Help........

FabHat can't make it and I'm not well placed to be a bolshie SE1 complainant as I don't live in SE1 and, fingers-crossed, my mail is basically OK if sometimes late. (And I hate it when they take parcels straight back without ringing the door-bell to see if you are at home.)

It would be such a shame to let the Post Office bosses off the hook after all the hard work.

Thursday 20 January 2005 4.52pm
Sarah2,

Galvanised by the realisation that it is almost exactly a year since we all met up with Simon Hughes (talked a great talk, but we never really heard anything from him again) in the Blue Eyed Maid, I'm going to try and come along this evening.

Is post the first item on the agenda ? I reckon I can get there by 7:30pm at the latest.

I've got my own recent experience (3 Chip and Pin numbers and a hardback book gone missing) and Maurits' - but what is the general feeling of the board about whether there's been any real improvement in services since this time last year (leaving aside the thefts) ?

My impression is there was an improvement in the summer of last year, but it's all sliding back down following the move to one delivery. Any comments ?
Thursday 20 January 2005 5.31pm
not much of an improvement - we still seem to get no post on some days and then a load all in one go.
Thursday 20 January 2005 11.16pm
Just back. Siduhe was a star and a fine substitute for Fabhat. She took notes so is in a better position to report. There were a number of others there who appear to read SE1. (We now know what lurkers get up to in the evenings.) And there were regular mentions of the SE1 Forum and its role including from Kate Hoey and Simon Hughes. Though not as 'official' as some of the other community fora it appears that we are accepted as articulating local concerns.

The highlights for me were Terry Bosworth, the local SE1 manager, confirming that he regularly reads our postal thread and had done so that very morning. And in response to some very genuine frustration about the phones at Mandela Way never being answered, giving out his own phone number. I did not write it down but hope that Harriet posts it. Simon Hughes made a very strong and good contribution with a number of specific suggestions and expectations including that he expects the Mandela Way phone to be answered promptly and politely and requests actioned upon.

More bizarrely Terry Bosworth suggested that one of the improvements he has been able to bring about is getting the local police - who keep a list of items that are reported 'missing' - and the Post Office security to start talking and to share information.

All in all quite constructive in that Terry Bosworth was left in no doubt that more improvement is needed and expected.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: