Symington House, Deverell Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 24 January 2005 11.44am
Hi everyone -

Does anyone know of any planned works (or even demolition!) for the eyesore that is Symington House on Deverell Street?

Monday 24 January 2005 12.38pm
Why do you ask? Have you heard something?

{asking as someone who lives next to it}

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 24 January 2005 12.51pm
No, sorry I haven't heard anything.

I'm asking as I've had an offer accepted on a flat for sale in the building (I'm not crazy - the views are amazing and the flat is HUGE) but I am concerned about the appearance and longevity of the building. Or indeed if there are any plans to spruce it up.

As you live next to it, can you give me any insight into the immediate neighbourhood, esp. if the building has particularly high crime rates?

Ivanhoe Wrote:
> Why do you ask? Have you heard something?
> {asking as someone who lives next to it}
> ...if you press it, they will come

Monday 24 January 2005 12.59pm
You can search Southwark Council's current planning register on-line here but be warned, it is very slow !

May be of some help ?
Monday 24 January 2005 1.16pm
Unfortunately nothing on Symington House, but it did lead me to some other links and contact numbers.

Monday 24 January 2005 3.59pm
Don't know anything about the building Jessie. All I can say is that most of the sirens I hear don't stop at Symington House.

We get a few of the kids from the flats climbing the walls of our flats in the summer holidays (not seemingly trying to do anything other than show off their skills in balancing, and make me worry that they'll break their necks).

We've had some (very poor quality, hugely lacking in imagination) graffiti recently, and bike storerooms broken into a couple of times, but that could be anyone from the neighbourhood (or not, as the case may be).

Welcome to the neighbourhood. You're most welcome to take me for a drink in one of your new locals when you move in :0)

Monday 24 January 2005 4.33pm
Thanks for your insight, though it looks like we won't be neighbours soon after all. : (

After going to all the high street housing societies, no one will lend on Symington House. In addition
to the normal exclusions mortgage companies put on concrete council tower blocks, SH has a double whack as it has had some very bad structural surveys. Apparently thanks to the shoddy 60s construction and 'concrete cancer', lenders are worried that in the event of a fire the pillars supporting the building will crumble, causing the floors to collapse in on each other. Nice, huh?

I am seriously gutted. What a flat this is, despite the monstrous building.

But I love SE1 and am desperate to live in the neighbourhood, so if you or anyone else knows of 1 or 2 bed flat under 200K, give me a holler. Once we're settled I'd happy to meet up for a pint!
Monday 24 January 2005 4.56pm
Sorry to hear that.

However, if I could find a 1 or 2 bed flat in the area for the sort of price you mention, I'd be out mugging old ladies to pay for it :0) (only joking Jan)

Anonymous User
Monday 24 January 2005 6.10pm
I paid coniderably under 200K for mine (good sized one bed). It needed a bit of work but not prohibitively so.

Keep on digging Jessie - there's gold in them that hills I tell you!
Tuesday 25 January 2005 12.19am
Many flats on the Tabard Estate go for under 200k. Look in the estate agents on Borough High St, especially the one (whose name I have forgotten) just south of Borough Tube.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: