Southwark park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 25 January 2005 3.28pm
Late last year it seemed to me that the Albin Cemetery, which runs alongside Southwark Park by the Blackwall Tunell run-in, had annexed a chunk of said park. Incensed, I wrote to ask what the council was playing at, selling chunks of OUR park.

Anyway, I got this reply today

Dear Mr Yanos

Thank you for your enquiry.

Firstly, I should state that this area of the park has not been given to anybody, nor has it been sold to anybody.

The Albin funerary company has had a long standing lease over an area of the park that it has not occupied. This ended rather abruptly at a point in the middle of the bank that has recently been enclosed by railings.

Mr Albin approached the Council to enquire as to the possibility of leasing a small area of additional land to make useable the area of land that they already controlled.

A consultation exercise was carried out with the Friends of Southwark Park and a new boundary line agreed on site with all parties present. The area in its entirety is leased to Albin's with strict conditions attached in terms of the type of landscape that they can install in this area.

The Council has accrued a certain financial benefit from this arrangement and this will be ploughed back into the park for its further improvement via the Community Council in due course.

I trust that I have provided you with some clarification, but please come back to me if I can be of any further assistance.

Regards

Jon Sheaff

Parks Manager
London Borough of Southwark
Chatelaine Hse
186 Walworth Rd
London
SE17 1JJ

T: 020 7525 0874
F: 020 7527 0773
M: 07967 662495
Tuesday 25 January 2005 8.00pm
I find it depressing that, some fifty years after the publication of "Plain Words", a public official can get away with writing "The Council has accrued a certain financial benefit from this arrangement" rather tham "The Council receives some money from this deal".

I wonder whether the "strict conditions attached in terms of the type of landscape that they can install in this area" will prevent the erection of any more horrible walls like the ones along the road boundary. NB: This may just be my crashing snobbery on my part- I certainly wouldn't want "to be seen dead" (or at least inflict on my relatives) what looks more like a"build your own patio" feature from a 1970s gardening show - maybe others like it.

New readers start here - this site, which is just outside SE1 has been discussed on the following previous threads:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/28873
and
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/29461

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: