Metro Central Heights

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Tuesday 25 January 2005 4.20pm
As other SE-1ers may know I am doing some serious flat hunting in Metro Central Heights right now and I've put an offer in on one and am waiting to hear back.
I saw another one today on the first floor and i'm wondering what's below it?
From main reception turn right into the big courtyard with the pond and trun to your right. That is the block I'm looking at. Below the 1st floor are what appear to be ventilation shafts. Are they coming from Nandos/Wetherspoons, and incidentally for deliveries etc how do they get behind those building to the back doors/delivery entrances?
Does anyone else, apart from the very helpful Jackie know or live there too?
Tuesday 25 January 2005 10.36pm
Yes, I live here too! Though I don't know about the vents. I'm not sure i like the lack of privacy in a ground floor flat, especially one facing inwards, onto a shared courtyard. I would recommend living as high as you can though - the views to be had from the 15th floor are breath-taking when you first see them. Only thing I don't like about our view on the 13th floor is the big brown monstrosity next door: the Salvation Army HQ.

One irritating thing (for me) about deliveries is when the Wetherspoons lorries park on the pavement at the entrance to MCH.
Tuesday 25 January 2005 10.49pm
The main kitchen extraction for Wetherspoon's and Nando's comes out at roof level so you shouldn't get cooking fumes. Wetherspoons gets its deliveries at the front/side of the building, and Nando's lorries drive through the car park into a small service area.
Wednesday 26 January 2005 10.08am
Thanks you guys
I have put an offer in on that flat now, and am waiting to hear on another one.
I much prefer the courtyard flats- quieter and espesh with all the regeneration due to start shortly. The one I made an offer on today is on the 1st floor but still pretty high up, you can't really look in.
So I will see which one accepts my offer. I have seen a lot of 2 bed places for sale in there- mostly owned by people who rented them out and who actually live in Hong Kong- must be some sort of consortium.
Thanks for your advice and hopefully we'll be neighbours soon!
Wednesday 26 January 2005 12.40pm
Hi Sarah,

I own and live in MCH. There have been threads in our residents forum about people complaining about the smell from the premises below however they have had visits from people within Metro and EA people to check that they are venting properly etc.

As with anything you have to weigh all apsects up, yes you will be living about commercial properties but look at the location, the facilities, the er...location....everyone has their problems in Metro - believe me but I am sure as with everyone you will love living there Sarah.

Wednesday 26 January 2005 1.26pm
The reason so many Hong Kong- ites is that St. George (may curses fall upon their heads) sold the block very heavily there during 1997 when Hong Kong was going back to the Chinese and the Hong Kong Chinese were worried they would be swept up by communism and looked all over the world for bolt holes. St George sold a VERY glamorous version of Metro which was far from being truthful, (amongst other things it was right beside Covent Garden) and offering all sorts of facilities which never materialised. But the panic buying was at its zenith, and they all bought into what were relatively cheap flats at the one was prepared for the escalation of the service charges which are preposterous - this of course due to the managing agents Peverel who are the absolute PITS and we (the residents) are working on getting rid of them. Well you have all this interesting stuff ahead. But dont let it put you off, it's a great gaff.
Wednesday 26 January 2005 4.07pm
mogoot Wrote:
> Only thing I don't like about our view on the 13th floor is
> the big brown monstrosity next door: the Salvation
> Army HQ.

At least you can currently see over the top of it.

IIRC the Sally Army bought that building freehold - not so sure about Salvationist publications in the lower block at the back.

If the Army's charity trustees get property consultants in, I suspect they may find Ken would look favourably on another 20 storey residential tower on the site!

Wednesday 26 January 2005 4.30pm
My boyfried works near St Paul's at Paternoster Square and I recall him saying recently that the Salvation Army have open their brand new HQ building around there (rather extravagant he thought, given that it's meant to be a charity serving the poor and the building looked like a corporate headquarters). If that's the case maybe they will be disposing of the old HQ building near Metro Heights?.....
Wednesday 26 January 2005 4.31pm
Yes, they have a new building on the north side of the Millennium Bridge - complete with a rather smart cafe - but I think that's their worldwide headquarters, and the building at the Elephant is the UK headquarters, which they are retaining.

Sally gets a makeover - by Jonathan Glancey, The Guardian, 17 January 2005

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 26 January 2005 4.34pm by James Hatts.
Wednesday 26 January 2005 5.29pm
Wonder why so many of them are selling now then- of about 6 flats I've viewed, 5 were buy to let with owners in Hong Kong.
Anyway, I still havent heard back regarding my offer I guess cos of time difference. Fingers Crossed.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: