Definitive Curry

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 26 January 2005 9.24pm
Hi All,
A while ago I was moving into SE1...but then couldn't for a while...but now Im just about to again.So with that in mind I'd like to
really press you all for some information.
An good indian curry for me is an integral part of my life and where ever I have moved to so far in my life,always incures an initial tryout of local curry deliveries and eat outs.
Usually,at least the last 3 areas of London I have lived,its taken 2 or 3 tries before I hit upon the one place that hits the spot.

Not too greasy,good use of spice with plenty of difference between each dish(a bad curry house tends to make all their dishes taste too similar,probably using the same sauce for everything).Good price,a traditional menu as well as a few nice chefs inventions.A good selection of vegetarian dishes.

Having lived all over London at some point,I've actually found Honor Oak Tandoori to be absoloutley the best curry out there by a mile,and I have tried alot of curries in London,all ends of the City.If you ever get a chance,try them believe me.

So,as I know from reading this Forum,some of you have lived in SE1 for a good while and I wager some of you take a good curry seriously,and with that in mind I'd like to ask you for the best Delivery and best Eat out in SE1.

All though I haven't tried it yet.I hear the little indian on Borough High St,under the train bridge by the Cathedral Steps is pretty good.

I tried Tower Bridge Tandoori which is not good.They need to do work there.

Thanks Trans
Thursday 27 January 2005 9.44am
Simply Indian, tabard street..
Thursday 27 January 2005 10.53am
I had a great takeaway from Tower Tandoori recently. Ticked all the boxes for me and, like you, I've had many curries all over London and a few in Mumbai too!
Thursday 27 January 2005 11.42am
If you can venture beyond the confines of SE1, down Kennington Lane to the Kennington Tandoori I don't think you'd be disappointed - the usual favourites executed well also some innovative new dishes which are excellent. Also fun to see their prized collection of photos of the many MPs who frequent it.
Thursday 27 January 2005 12.10pm
Was your visit to the Tower Tandoori recent, ie since it had a makeover and did you ever go prior to that? On our last visit a year or so ago, after which we vowed never to go back, everything was made with the same sauce, which seemed to consist mainly of tomato ketchup and frozen peas and the dal was made with marrowfat peas despite being described as lentils! Their website says they've got a new chef so maybe its worth another try.
Sal
Thursday 27 January 2005 2.08pm
Just stick to pie and mash, much better!!!!
Thursday 27 January 2005 2.50pm
Can highly recommend Simply Indian for take out (and it is always quickly delivered too) ... and again, should you wish to venture out of SE1, Brick Lane isn't too far away and Cafe Naz down there has always been delicious! Good luck with the move!
Thursday 27 January 2005 2.54pm
can't let another curry thread go by without championing the Spice Lounge above the Blue Eyed Maid on Borough High Street. My mouth's watering just thinking about it...
Thursday 27 January 2005 3.04pm
There are two, both quite different, but both excellent:

Simply Indian - Perfect for your "Friday night in front of the telly" type of curry. The chaps who work there are second to none, and will often 'phone you back if you've forgotten something in your order (I've lost count of the number of times I've forgotten to order rice, only to get a call from them ten minutes later checking if I'd intentionally left it out)

and

The Bengal Clipper - Whilst primarily being a restaurant (and I mean "restaurant" not "curry house"), and for my money THE best Indian restaurant anywhere, they also do take away. A curry from there is on par with high quality restaurants; given that it's neighbours are the Conran restaurants in Shad Thames it gives you an idea of the type of curry we're talking about.

Regards

Craig
Thursday 27 January 2005 3.34pm
I second Craig (& Julie), Simply Indian is great take-away 0207 407 5005.

The Bengal Clipper is gorgeous for dinner although a little pricey (about 70 for 2 last time I think.)

Tower Tandoori varies immensely depending on the chef. Have lived just around the corner for 12 years & have had some fantastic meals and some dire ones. Haven't been since the refurb though. I'd say give it a try every 6 months or so. When it's good it's very good and very reasonable price wise.

I have no connection with any of the above mentioned etc. etc.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: