Martial arts clubs for children in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 29 January 2005 9.31pm
I'm looking for a good karate or judo club for my 5 year old to go to in the SE1 area. I know there's a karate class at Bermondsey Village Hall and a couple in Elephant and Castle, but does anyone know of others?
Sunday 30 January 2005 11.15am
The Tokei club on Magdalen Street off Tooley street does a wide range of martial arts (including judo).

I am a bit biased having done judo for nearly 20 years myself but I would highly recommend it as something for kids to take up. It's a sport rather than a martial art but I think it manages to combine a lot of positive aspects of both. I'm not exactly sure what age they will allow kids to start at but it could be that 5 is just a little too young yet ... I started at 7 which I think was the youngest they allowed away back then (though that may be different now).
Sunday 30 January 2005 1.40pm
Some sort of kids martial arts happens in the ADI at 210 Lambeth Road. However it is a bit of a secretative organisation and it is quite hard to find out what is offered. (Eg there is nothing posted in the entrance and neighbours our out of favour since we oposed their 3.00am licence so I daren't phone.) If you find out could you let me know as well.

My daughter is lucky enough to do judo as part of a school club. She started at five. Interestingly a lot of the less 'sporty' kids do well, perhaps because it involves different skills to the ubiquitious football. I think martial arts are also available at the Clapham Maonr Leisure Centre, which I have just discovered and which has a great range of kids activities including swimming, gymnastics, street dancing and more.

You could also try the respective associations. If your kid eventually wants to do competitions it will be much easier if they attend classes in their own borough as I understand Judo conpetitions at least are based around boroughs.

Sarah
Sunday 30 January 2005 3.34pm
There's also the Downside Fisher Boys (?) Club on Druid Street - I know there's a pool there but I seem to have some very vague recollection of them doing other stuff there - might be worth giving them a ring? Good luck in your quest!
Sunday 30 January 2005 3.42pm
There's a boxing club at Downside Fisher. I don't think they do any martial arts. http://www.downside-fisher.org

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 31 January 2005 12.14pm
Isn't boxing a martial art?

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 31 January 2005 1.18pm
A quick Google:

A D I Centre
218 Lambeth Road
London
SE1 7JY

Tel: 020 7928 6160
Saturday 10 April 2010 11.27am
Hi,Coming to the point one knew very well how important is Martial arts and it's quite pretty easy to find martial arts schools in and around at your convenience...I have found many different schools and among those I can suggest you to better opt for karate for kids the might be available at your place which has very well trainers.
Sunday 11 April 2010 11.03am
Our Tai Chi instructor is starting up some Kids Karate courses. Here's what I know:

Gongfu Karate for Kids
with Master Michael Jacques,
7th Degree Black Belt and Open British Champion
For ages 4-12 years 4.45-5.45pm
For ages 13 and over 6.00-7.00pm
Private Classes available
Beginner to black belt, training for all starts on
Wednesday the 3rd March 4.45-5.45pm and 6.00-7.00pm
At The Rockingham Community Centre
Rockingham Street
London SE1 6QJ
To enrol call 07956 913437 / 020 7407 4775
Email: admin@taichiuk.co.uk
Monday 8 October 2012 6.24pm
My son does Karate with Ju Dachi Martial Arts Association in a hall on the Old Kent Road, close to Tesco. He attends Wed pm and Sat am, and he is also going to start attending lessons on Tuesdays, at Camelot school were the same club also has kids only lessons. What I like about this club is that they offer family friendly lessons (adults and children) as well as children or adult only lessons. The students can train as much as they want, at no extra cost. The instructors are down to Earth and strict on the lessons, but also funny with the kids. I enjoy watching my son training on the lessons, and now I am starting to learn the numbers in Japanese myself! This club is involved in many events, and offers referral programs, trophies on gradings to best students and their teaching is brilliant. The adults seem to enjoy the lessons as much as the kids, and I have seen adults also training with Okinawan weapons, incorporated to the Karate training, which is very interesting to watch. I wish I was a few years younger to be able to join them too!
Look for: JU DACHI MARTIAL ARTS ASSOCIATION
SENSEI: JONATHAN BOLT 077 630 195 46

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: