Residents parking near Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Sunday 30 January 2005 8.09pm
We're considering moving into the Bermondsey St area. Can anyone advise on how easy (or not) it is to find a residents parking area around there?
HF
Monday 31 January 2005 12.14pm
In a word, it's dire. A lot of people rent a parking space in secure car parks, but its pretty steep. I live just off Bermondsey Street and struggle to park near, although you can usually find something on the other side of the park on Weston Street. Some streets round there though are definately no-parking areas if you still want a car in the morning. Mine was broken into on the street just off Snowfields (Kirby something I think), although maybe its safer now... Good luck!
Monday 31 January 2005 12.29pm
It is very bad I live in Long Lane and there is no parking at all so we have to part in Bermondsey Street and Decima street/Wild Rents. There are lots of new developments going up and proposals for more which only have parking for a few residents or no parking at all and it is making / will make the situation a lot worse.

Make sure you move to a development with allocated parking.
Monday 31 January 2005 3.18pm
What does a secured parking space cost, per month?
Tuesday 1 February 2005 7.05pm
I'd agree it's pretty dire. As per my earlier posting, people also appear happy to run into your car and just drive off - scumbags! However, with a bit of trying and a few drive pasts you can usually get somewhere - although not always very close to your place. You'll need a parking permit, and check carefully as the resident bays are by letter, and can change from one street to the next, so unless you're careful it can be relatively easy to get a ticket. As for secured parking, where we live they are asking for 40 pounds a week, which at this stage I'm not paying! If anyone knows of a cheaper alternative anywhere near Tanner St, I'd be very pleased to hear of it :O)
Tuesday 1 February 2005 7.16pm
I don't want a car. People come into the area because of its obvious attractions. However have you seen the great pit they have dug for the Jam Factory car park?

This is so the residents can park in safety. They'll wing their cars in and out to work or a superstore and think they're living in some estate agents' advert. Meanwhile, the car park (behind the 12ft wall) completely monsters the local housing.

There's not enough room in London for one person one car. And as for the planet...
Get out and walk, or, try the bus, Ken's made them better.............. x
Wednesday 2 February 2005 9.25am
Thank the gods of beermoney street for your sensible comments Harry. I wanted to post something like this yesterday, but couldn't find the words.

Now, back to campaigning for that gay Waitrose.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 2 February 2005 12.17pm
Whilst i agree that too many people have their cars as shopping trolleys that merely get used for the weekend shop many oher local people need a car for work as my other half and many others do-and no he could not get the tube as he has lots of heavy tools and also gets called out 24/7.

also like many women i will not use public transport late at night and rely on my car-sadly if i have to park 1/2 a mile away it defeats the object of using it and will mean i will no longer venture out after dark-although that may be a good thing!

Anonymous User
Wednesday 2 February 2005 12.54pm
I'm one of those that uses my car largely as a shopping trolley but with family living in an area not accessible by public transport I have little other choice than to keep a car.

With the erosion of close knit extended families this must be quite common.

I have of course suggested that they all up sticks and move to SE1 but for some strange reason they prefer the countryside.
Wednesday 2 February 2005 1.48pm
And I'm a hypocrite. We have a car that gets used about once a month (not even for shopping. I think it's easier for me, and generally better all round, to get it delivered), and it just sits in its parking space for the rest of the time, looking old and tired.

The space comes with the flat, so I suppose that one way or another we're paying for it via rent, but that's no justification for taking up space that could be used for much more socially productive ends. I don't feel particularly comfortable about it, but that's the way it is and it doesn't change my views that people shouldn't feel that an entitlement to keep a car is akin to a basic human right.

IMO, we need a more creative solution, because more cars just isn't sustainable (in terms of space alone, not even thinking about the environmental effect). There are obviously people who really do need a car, and I'm not trying to say that there aren't. (Hopefully we will always have a government/local council that makes decent provision for disabled/necessary business parking. That's not what we're talking about in this case.) However, I believe that there are people who just keep a car either for reasons like they had one before moving here and would get next to nothing if they sold it (like us), or because it's “nice to have”. I think that it's these people (myself included) who shouldn't moan if there's no parking available for them in zone 1 in our capital city.

If we could dig up our parking space and plant veggies there, I'd give the car away and do it tomorrow (well, maybe I'd wait for the weekend). And if the ageing rustrider fails its MOT, I'll be looking to sublet a secure parking space.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: