Planning application for Borough Rd/Newington Causeway

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 6 August 2002 10.35am
Does anybody have details of the proposed development of 199 flats (two blocks: 8 and 12 storey) on the corner of Borough Rd and Newington Causeway?

I got a letter inviting me to comment yesterday but the only time the plans can be viewed is monday -friday 10-4 - which is no good for those of us who work.
Tuesday 6 August 2002 11.46am
Kate, the only piece of land is a pocket size scrap near a balti house? chemist? or have I got it wrong...
Tuesday 6 August 2002 11.52am
'fraid not - the application is for 69-85 Borough Road/ 2-54 Newington causeway - whatever they have in mind its BIG
- landscaped piazza n'all apparently.
Tuesday 6 August 2002 2.05pm
on the site of the petrol station/car place....near the old wig shop , will stop the light from the houses opposite i would imagine....
Tuesday 6 August 2002 4.11pm

I actually live in the development which is going to have the propsed building. St George's ( the developers ) have in their wisdom decided to increase their revenue by building on the residents car park. Anyone who knows Metro Central Heights ( huge blue and white building on the corner of E and C roundabout opposite E and C tube, off Newingotn causeway knows it has North, East, South and West flats. They have decided to build the new ones kind of in the South East, about 10 - 15 m from the present residents flats on top of the car park and inbetween the railway ?? !! Yes it is awful and yes the residents comitee are trying to fight this.

From non residents point of view the added congestion should be one point you could object on, noise is another and pollution. However most importantly, if you feel anythign for the poor people who are going to have to endure loss of ligth / noise etc form this if this mad idea ever goes through please put pen to paper.

If anyone wants to look a the plans yes they are erected in hobby but to get a good idea, wou only need to be down new kent road under the bridge by the rounabout, look towards the flats and imagine another 10 storeys stuck in the corner.

I really feel sorry for those people if the plans go ahead but in this world of low life in high places I would not be surprised.

James, anything you can do to promote awareness of this would be much appreciated, in fact, I feel I should have asked you this already,

Wednesday 7 August 2002 1.02pm
I am an agent in the area and have not heard anything about this ridiculos idea. Peter i take 'hobby' to mean lobby and in the reception area of metro central? St Georges seem to have no idea!
south london sceptic
Wednesday 7 August 2002 3.02pm
I think there are two different schemes.

I don\'t know anything about the 69-85 Borough Road and 2-54 Newington Causeway one - but it seems pretty big for the quoted addresses, and at that location a twelve storey building would be quite a blot on the landscape. If this is the site that is now MORI\'s offices (is this the same building that used to be Letts, the diary publishers many moons ago?), then its the site where a skyscraper \"Southwark Tower\" was planned a few years ago that got nowhere. Quote from \"Estates Gazette\"\'s online site Estates Today:

\"The 470m (1,500 ft) high tower was to be developed by Blackfriars Investments to a design by Will Alsop of architects Alsop & Stormer.
In August 2000 the skyscraper schemes appears to be at an end as Hollybrook, the Irish developer, is drawing up its own plans for a mixed use leisure development on 2 acres of the site and has leased Diary House to MORI, the market research company, on a 15-year lease. Diary House is to be upgraded as part of the new plans for the site.\"

The other scheme at Alexander Fleming House (as I will continue to call \"Metro Heights\" is where the former cinema (was it an Odeon???) used to be on the New Kent Road - until the developers demolished it a decade ago in a panic that it would be listed as a masterpiece of 1960s modernism. (I think the offices already had \"immunity\" from listing).

Mayor Livingstone liked the scheme for this site- apart from wanting to make sure that the cladding was properly specified by Southwark so that it wasn\'t another mirror glass monstosity like the block now occupied by the Sally Army. He is also insisting on 50% affordable housing.

See Ken\'s \"initilal representation\" at:

and the supporting report at:
Wednesday 7 August 2002 3.06pm
I agree - there are two separate schemes - I managed to get hold of planning at the council (finally) and they have promised to send me some more information so when (if) I get it - I'll be able to pass it on to those who are interested.
Wednesday 7 August 2002 5.43pm
Christian, yes, lobby of metro central heights, however as a private residence, not open to view, basically like i said imagine another block of flats in that position, I really am surprised at St George, the amount they coudl get sued by the residents in a civil action would be huge but they know that no one would risk that money. I feel sorry for the tenants.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: