Borough High Street traffic chaos

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 1 February 2005 4.36pm
Trench dug for electrical cable flooded after workers burst water pipe.

4pm Tue 1st Feb
Tuesday 1 February 2005 4.39pm
Funny that - the same, charming [sarcasm alert] roadworking team did exactly the same thing at 8:30am on Saturday morning just gone, when they started preparatory works on the little bit of Tabard Street which adjoins Borough High Street and Long Lane (as well as waking up most of the neigbourhood).
Tuesday 1 February 2005 5.34pm
I saw that, Siduhe. I was also puzzled by the hand-operated traffic control sign that they were using.

They'd blocked off one lane of traffic (at the end of Long Lane, from where it passes the print shop up to the Dover Castle), and so had made a contraflow that went over the pedestrian crossing.

To me (a pedestrian that day, all bristly and fresh from a lovely trim at Forte's), that meant that there were three groups of road users all trying to go across the pedestrian crossing: cars going towards the Dover Castle; cars going towards TBR down Long Lane, and pedestrians.

However, as the roadworks boys were only using a red/green, Stop/Go sign to control the traffic (i.e. there was no way that, using that sign, they could get both directions of traffic to stop at the same time to allow pedestrians to cross) it was a bit hit and miss for any of us not in cars.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 1 February 2005 5.37pm
I had no water for a while on Sunday morning... what's happening !
Tuesday 1 February 2005 5.55pm
Just walked past the High Street Geyser - it's still going., and no one appears to be terribly bothered about it - the Laing workmen were laughing their heads off - you'd have thought the joke would have worn thin by now.

The 'management' of the pedestrian / road traffic over the weekend was laughable - at one point pedestrains were forced to walk in the road heading east along Long Lane outside ASRA House, with no protective barrier or warning signs.
Wednesday 2 February 2005 9.26am
as long as no one holds up the cars, janefs ;0)

...if you press it, they will come.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: