Congestion Charging

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 21
Wednesday 7 August 2002 7.07pm
Let's get the subject of congestion charging back on the front page. Is there still a chance we can avoid this very unfair payment?
Thursday 8 August 2002 8.22am
Hurrah for congestion charging.
Hurrah for the lovely new buses.
Hurrah for Ken

It can't start too soon
Thursday 8 August 2002 9.02am
hopefully not... something\'s got to be done about the daily hell on the streets of SE1.
Thursday 8 August 2002 10.53am
As I look outside my window onto a main Road I see so many cars out there, but all containing just one person - the driver. Many of the cars are very big - there is a craze for large 4x4s, Mercedes, Volvos, and others. No wonder we have traffic jams - it is a pity that the congestion charge is not to be much higher, and stop this stupid waste of resources - petrol, oil, and of course the roads themselves are resources - in the name of egoism.

However, what are the plans for the areas adjacent to the charge area - I fear that these are going to become large carparks. That would be most distressing, and could cause severe congestion, slowing down buses entering into the centre.

Also, it strikes me as really wierd that so many people avoid car tax - so how will the money be collected? and how will that be more effective than collecting road tax?
Thursday 8 August 2002 11.30am
I drive every day due to my work requirements. I do not enjoy doing so and I do not enjoy paying 2000 per year in insurance, 400 per month in fuel and 200 per month in parking charges, but until the transport system allows me to move across central, south east and west London on a daily basis and get there on time I have no choice. So I will continue to be one of those people you see alone in their car displaying what you mistake as egoism.
Thursday 8 August 2002 11.53am
TonyH's response typifies the "It aint my fault guv" attitude of most motorists who contribute to the congestion and pollution we in central London have to suffer.

Presumably, if your insurance is 2000 per month then I take it you're not driving a little Ford Fiesta, but a large gas guzzler?

Also, if your work is at the other side of London, why do you take it as your RIGHT that you can drive and pollute the atmosphere with your machine?

Try these alternatives:
1. Get a scooter or moped.
2. Learn to ride a bike
3. Think about moving house. Why should you live in an area that requires you to travel half way round London to get to work
Thursday 8 August 2002 11.57am
Sorry, I missed a fourth option:
4. Try lift sharing

I had a conversation at the weekend with a chap who drove in from Woking to the city each day in his BMW. Woking has a fast train line direct to Waterloo, yet he insists he must take his car because he has to "carry a lot of papers to work each day". Meanwhile, my children suffer with asthma because of people like him driving into London every day.
Thursday 8 August 2002 12.01pm
Funny how people so concerned about the state of public transport don't use it. Get on a bus, or a train, contribute to an increase in revenue, see if it improves - and maybe then you will be worth listening to. Otherwise, stay in your jamjar and carry on killing us.
Thursday 8 August 2002 12.08pm
Mike

Get to know a little more about me before you make assumptions.

1. I am just moving into the area. I have chosen to live in SE1 because of the transport links. This means that on a day when I am based in a single location (usually Croydon) I take the train from London Bridge.

2. I was knocked of my motorbike many years ago and nearly killed. I will not get back on a bike.

3. I used to drive a Porsche. I sold it when I moved to SE1 and bought an Audi A4 because I felt conscious that I did not need a flash sports car. I use the car on the frequent occasions that I have to commute from SE1 to Croydon to Feltham to Weybridge, as I have today. I have tried many times to do this trip on public transport - IT IS NOT POSSIBLE.

4. I am in support of the congestion charging.

Tony.
Jan
Thursday 8 August 2002 1.06pm
I read that if this scheme fails to improve congestion...Ken will increase the charge...........AFTER ONLY EIGHT WEEKS..! Is this correct?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 21

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: