Netball

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 8 February 2005 3.02pm
I live v.close to the excellent new Colombo Centre courts on Paris Gardens and they are at last, being used by the LNS boys to play...netball...or rather a boys version of netball/basketball/serious contact sport/shoving/pushing ball, but good to see that it's being used. However in the evenings, there is no-one using them yet. I wondered if there was a local netball team who were interested? Or whether as a seriously unfit, former netball player, anyone was interested in getting up a team and playing. Happy to do refreshments round mine after?
Wednesday 9 February 2005 9.20am
There is a lot of interest in netball from the 'official' sports community. Two netball courts are proposed for Archbishops Park and several more for GMH (the War Museum). The existing Archbishops netball court was/is used regularly by a teams from the hospital, but other than that I can't see much existing demand.

Brian Dickens from the Sports Action Zone, which is based in the SouthBank Employers Group offices is in contact with the netball enthusiasts/lobby and will be able to point you in the right direction. Apparently it is a growing sport.

(I hated netball at school, and my daughter is following in the family tradition. She can't see why she can't just play football with the boys.)

Thursday 10 February 2005 12.12am
sarah2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>> Apparently it is a growing sport.
>
> (I hated netball at school, and my daughter is
> following in the family tradition. She can't see
> why she can't just play football with the boys.)

Sarah2 I fully appreciate your concerns about Archbishops Park - a great local green space and one in which I have enjoyed tennis, sitting, enjoying the trees and watching the regular south american football tournaments

I don't appreciate your ability to turn what was an innocent enquiry from a local who might be interested in playing an "apparently growing" sport but one of which you personally disapprove, into yet another diatribe about "netball lobbies" or not getting your own way with the usage of said Park.

Thursday 10 February 2005 12.19am
I think that's a bit harsh, really.

I don't think Sarah's message was unreasonable at all - she was trying to be helpful with pertinent information about planned netball courts and a possible contact with relevant information.

I think you may be reading a little too much into it. Just my 2p.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 10 February 2005 12.21am by James Hatts.
Thursday 10 February 2005 10.37am
Thanks James.

The point I was trying to make is there is growing netball provision across the area. Apparently because of growing interest in netball as a sport. The Archbishops Park Management Plan steering group approved a request by a number of organised sports groups including a netball group and brought together by Sports Action Zone to replace a single court with two courts. I don't have a contact for the netball group, but Brian Dickens of SAZ will. I thought this will be helpful.

Maybe I should not have mentioned my own lack of interest. I understand that there was a week long summer netball scheme in
Archbishops a couple of years back, but the take up was poor. That said the hospital workers games seem organised and enthusiastic.

I think those people who have taken part in the Forum for a while will know that I am finding the whole thing very difficult. In order to get funding we are expected to show more capacity and attend more meetings. So despite having a real fever and despite a parents meeting on Tuesday evening and a work function on Thursday evening, I went along to the WCDG meeting on Founders Place last night. Others in the group had similar problems and so could not make it. Evening meeting and the volume of work required to follow things like UDP changes etc are tough.

I thnk people overall are pleased that people are trying to articulate the needs of park users, and we have always had a great and opinionated turnout when we have held consultations. But the focus seems to be on what we should be doing, rather than some sort of acceptance and support from what we are doing. (Even last night someone gave me firm advice on what I should be doing about Founders Place, what letters I should write, and so on.) It may sound odd but it would have been really nice if instead of being told to be there and to bring along as many of my group as possible, people had thanked me for making the effort, paying the babysitter and so on. But volunteer time is free......

I am sorry about having turned another thread into a rant. But I am still very hurt about the way efforts to achieve a relatively simple agenda, eg a nice park with facilities for all including netball players, are treated. I and others are doing our best. We may not be as dedicated or skilled as others in the Waterloo area, but positive feedback would help.

Thursday 10 February 2005 11.51am
lagse1,

Have you seen the information about the Central London Netball Leagues that are being set up to play on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 6 - 7.30 pm, at Colombo Sports Centre, starting this Spring?

For more details, including the answers to the following questions, go to http://uksportsresource.co.uk/netball/:

FAQs

Q. What if I would like to play, but don't have a team?

A. Contact Top Corner and we will put you in touch with a team, or with others in a similar situation.

Q. I played a long time ago, will I be good enough?

A. The leagues will accommodate a wide range of abilities. So long as you enjoy your netball, that's all that matters!

Q. What are the courts like?

A. Brand new, all-weather and purpose built in central London

Q. We aren't company-funded. Can we pay weekly?

A. Flexible arrangements are available - call Top Corner to discuss your circumstances.

Hope this helps.

(I'm with Sarah on netball, though. Hate the game - too many unhappy memories of shivering on a cold pitch clothed only in an aertex t-shirt and PE knickers. And getting cold, wet hands. Yuck.)

Thursday 10 February 2005 1.41pm
When I was a t school, I thought that the gymn knickers and aertex shirt combo was the only thing that was good about netball ;0)

[Don't mind me, I'm not really here. Giving up the forum for Lent. Slight relapse]

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 10 February 2005 1.51pm
Excellent. Thanks for the information.
Friday 11 February 2005 9.36am
TLMJJ,

Not only am I dying of some awful lurgy, but now I have the thought of huge light blue gym knickers, which were worn over uniform navy knickers and white under knickers. We must have had warm bums. All had to be bought at Peter Jones.

Netball was bad, rounders worse, and hockey beyond endurance. The school was on top of the coldest hill in Sussex.

However worse yet was swimming.

Picture this. At eleven having to walk down the hill in single file from the Convent wearing ghastly blue uniform swimming costumes, again from Peter Jones, which had unlikely large cups which were inevitably dented. On top we wore Harris tweed cloaks. There was a nun in the lead and a nun pulling up the rear. This was in the days when they wore those black crow habits. We got to St Leonards' pebbly beach and were allowed in to waist depth - presumably to keep those swimming suit cups from filling with water and drowning us. The nuns stood on the beach shouting instructions, and all the local youth gathered to have a good laugh. I am still traumatised.

I hope this gives some flavour to my antipathy to school games.

And now the memory of Scottish dancing comes back. A gym teacher with an enormas bosum wearing a shiny green dress thing - akin to what a pixie might wear, losing her patience at my complete inability to 'set'........

Anonymous User
Friday 11 February 2005 10.05am
Sarah - if you were schooled in Sussex did you too hav the awful game of Stoolball to contend with (a hybrid of rounders and tennis)?

Having really long eyesight my hand eye coordination was rubbish, as soon as the ball got close I could see two of them & invriably aimed for the wrong one! Consequently was always out for a duck. Most humiliating & often resulting in bruises to the head!

I liked netball and basketball though - the larger balls being easier to see & therefore easier to avoid facial contact with. [I've just re-read that sentence... cue Ivanhoe]
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: