Moving a radiator

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 8 August 2002 6.22pm
I am trying to find someone who would be able to move a radiator for me in the SE1 area or surrounding areas. Anybody out there who can do this or do you know of a contact that I can get hold of?
Sunday 11 August 2002 3.51pm
Do you mean resiting it?
Sunday 11 August 2002 9.51pm
Yes - needs to move about a foot (reducing pipe, rather than increasing). Also I might want to replace another modern radiator with reconditioned Victorian one. Do you know of anyone who could do this?
DIY buff
Monday 12 August 2002 11.50am

I'm no expert, but I think you'll find that a wide bore Victorian radiator (4 inch pipe) won't be compatible with a modern high pressure half inch radiator system.

Moving the radiator is easy:

To move the radiator, go and buy a pipe freezing kit, freeze the pipes beyond where you want to shorten them to. Drain the radiator, and remove it from the wall.

Move the fittings, cut down the pipe to chosen length, refit radiator to wall, and reattach to system. Remember the frozen pipes won't stay frozen for ever, but that will be an incentive to get the job done before East Enders.

Check for leaks, repressurise system (to make up for the water you've lost from the radiator), bleed the radiator, paint wall, and hey presto, job done.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network