Modern Video on TBR

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 14 February 2005 1.28pm
I rented a DVD from Modern Video a couple of weeks ago. The DVD was returned on the same night (or at least in the early hours of the following day) by dropping it through the letterbox. Last Saturday I popped into Modern Video again to rent another DVD. When I went to the counter the guy (I never saw him before) told me that I owed them £7.50 because the last DVD was returned 3 days late. I explained to him that this was not possible as it was returned on the same night. As the account is in my partner's name, my partner tried to explain to him what actually happened. However, the guy was not interested at all and insisted that his computer says it was 3 days overdue and his computer is NEVER wrong - of course we all know that computers are NEVER wrong!!! We do rent a fair amount of videos and DVDs from this place and you'd think that they would give the customer the benefit of the doubt when an item is overdue for the first time ever… But no! In the end I just told him that I did not want to rent any more DVDs from his place - he didn't say a word and I just walked out. I thought it was a bit strange that he didn't ask me for the £7.50 (he really couldn't care less). If I really owed him that money, surely he would want me to pay him? A friend of mine told me the same thing happened to someone else who was in the queue in front of him some time ago. Same story - again he was not interested! Well one thing is for sure: I will never use them again!!!! I am now wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience…..
Monday 14 February 2005 2.17pm
is that the one same side as the flower shop? a few years back I returned a video aabout nine at night instead of before eight, explained that I had just returned from visiting a very very sick person in hospital, first time late etc., he charged me the extra nights rent, I never went there again....
Monday 14 February 2005 2.30pm
Yes, it is the one just by the crossing - between the Chinese Herbal Shop and the Florist on Tower Bridge Rd...
th
Tuesday 15 February 2005 5.30pm
Something similar happened to me there a while ago too - they said that I'd had a video out and it was late coming back. The thing for me though was that I'd never even rented the film from them. Took me a while to convince them that their computer was wrong....
Wednesday 16 February 2005 7.40am
Someone should print out this string and deliver it to Modern Video...thanks for the info guys, we CERTAINLY wont be renting from them (even though we've just got our DVD installed) and we'll tell all our friends - will also put a posting on the Metro Central Heights Forum (we have 420 flats and that's a LOT of business). Honestly, some businesses will stop at nothing. UGH!
Wednesday 16 February 2005 4.57pm
Anyway, their selection is useless and what they do have is badly organised.
Wednesday 16 February 2005 5.12pm
at this juncture, probably worthwhile linking back to the discussion about postal dvd services which don't require dealing with the likes of Modern Video
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/28303

I would certainly continue recommending lovefilm.com
Wednesday 16 February 2005 5.43pm
then you might want to link with the postal thread - and then wonder if the dvd's by post will work...

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/14037

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: