Congratulations to TfL

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 16 February 2005 9.35am
As someone with little faith in local government bureaucrats I find myself duty bound to give credit publicly to Transport for London for speedy service.

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed but a few weeks ago some bright spark somewhere in local gov. decided to put new signs up on every traffic lamp post on Grange Road/Tower Bridge Road junction. The worthy intentions of these signs to stop traffic blocking the pedestrians crossing at these sites. Unfortunately these signs were so badly designed they were a danger to all road users, and particularly pedestrians. They were yellow 18" square sharp tin signs 4 foot off the ground! Not only would partially sighted or clumsy pedestrians risk injury on the corners, but they also very conveniently obstructed the eyeline to block out all views of oncoming traffic!

I contacted Tfl by email and next day they replied they would look into it. Two days later all the signs except the ones in the middle of roads have been removed.

RESULT.

Well done tfl.
Wednesday 16 February 2005 2.22pm
HOpe they put them back but higher up...
Anonymous User
Wednesday 16 February 2005 2.49pm
A wee reminder of the rules regarding a box junction wouldn't go amiss at that junction.

I was crossing the box junction (or queueing to at least) on Sunday afternoon whilst two cars just sat in the middle of it. Both drivers appeared to be confused - one of them was in the lane to go straight ahead before deciding to turn right from TBR into Grange Road & ended up just kind of parked sidways across the junction and the other driver couldn't manoeuvre around him. Neither car appeared able to see the change of the lights so just stopped where they were.

As lights turned green more cars drove into the junction making the situation even worse - the car ahead of me (hoping to cross the junction from Bermondsey Street into Grange Road) decided to drive around both of these cars and ended up hitting one of them.

Then everyone got out of their cars to shout at each other for being in the wrong.

It was better than TV!
Thursday 17 February 2005 12.13am
Well done Jerry, you're right, they were lethal. Wasn't paying much attention 2 weeks ago when I pressed the button on the crossing & nearly took my eye out on the blooming thing!
Thursday 17 February 2005 11.21am
Birdie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A wee reminder of the rules regarding a box
> junction wouldn't go amiss at that junction.
>
Yes I believe this junction has suffered greatly from the congestion ring road effect. The yellow box here is crucial if traffic is to flow properly. Or is it time for a right filter on the TBR lights. Trouble is the road here is jammed with lorries and buses as well, thank god we don't have any bendy buses yet on these routes. Couldn't we have The Ring road over Blackfriars bridge please, a proper multi-laned bridge with four lanes all the way from Elephant/A3.
Thursday 17 February 2005 11.30am
Jerry Wrote:
> > Couldn't we have The Ring road over Blackfriars
> bridge please, a proper multi-laned bridge with
> four lanes all the way from Elephant/A3.

Are you serious, Jerry?

I never know, sometimes.

Surely you can't mean:

- bring the C-Charge barrier nearer to central London
- replace /Newington Causeway/Borough High St/Blackfriars Rd with a 4 lane expressway

IMO, this would be madness. (But then again, I think that the fact that TBR is outside the C-zone is madness)

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 17 February 2005 3.27pm
Ivanhoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Surely you can't mean:
>
> - bring the C-Charge barrier nearer to central
> London
> - replace /Newington Causeway/Borough High
> St/Blackfriars Rd with a 4 lane expressway

No I don't mean that, 4 lanes total, two each way. They exist already (far wider than TBR) linking Elephant and Blackfriars, no new building work involved, just re-routing. Blackfriars Bridge could be used to relieve the pressure on Tower Bridge by including the roads linking the North embankment here (Victoria Embankment) with Tower Hill as a ring road. All these roads are dual carriageways or at least far wider than TBR and Tower Bridge.

Or as you rightly say move the whole ring road. Out to Blackwall Tunnell and include this area North of Old Kent Road in CC zone.
Thursday 17 February 2005 3.52pm
I'd be very in favour of your second option, Jerry, and very against the first.

IMO, we're fooling ourselves if we think we can solve central London traffic problems by building new roads (or by anything other than reducing the number of vehicles).

But, as I freely admit, I'm a bit one-carriageway-minded about these issues.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 18 February 2005 10.59am
extending the C-charge would be great (but only because it would then include my house, and I'd get a discount!)
Friday 18 February 2005 11.46am
The Grange Road/Tower Bridge Road junction has suffered from the pointless addition of bus lanes on both sides of Grange Road.

A single vehicle that wants to turn right at the lights (i.e. to go North along TBR) causes a long queue as its waits for a gap in the traffic from Bermondsey Street. There is no way for vehicles wanting to go straight on or left to get by because the bus lane goes right up to the lights.

I wonder how long it will take our learned traffic engineers to realise that nearly all the busses want turn right at the end of Grange Road, so a bus lane on the left side of the road is rather worse than useless.

There have been so many recent examples of junction “improvements” where the overall traffic flow (including busses) has become considerably worse as a result. I think we need to fire all the traffic engineers, or maybe just a few politicians!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: