New map of London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 18 February 2005 9.28am
Being a complete techno idiot I'm not even sure what a blog is but, having read the one on this site about the allegedly redrawn map of London and the strategy for development between now and 2012 I'm confused. For the life of me I can't see what's wrong with the map. Have a look for yourself. Maybe I'm also cartologicaly challenged. Some people will find fault in a perfect peach.
Friday 18 February 2005 10.16am
It all depends on whether your mental map of London includes the Borough boundaries - which are the grey lines in the background of the map, and look to be relatively accurate.

Because those smaller divisions are shown, even small inaccuracies in the location of the various dots make the map look ridiculously slapdash. In addition to the howlers spotted by James, I noted that Battersea Power Station is shown on the site of the Kennington Oval

But the inaccuracy of the dots is nothing compared to the very silly alignment shown for Thameslink 2000 - which implies a new railway line sweeping through the Crystal Palace ridge then running west of the Purley Way to Carshalton! Thameslink actually follows the Brighton mainline all the way south of London Bridge.

Or do they know something about the plans I don't?
Friday 18 February 2005 11.19am
to be fair though, there is a note at the top of the map which states "map not to scale"... so that's alright then!
Friday 18 February 2005 1.55pm
Please someone give me a link to aforementioned map...I'm fascinated.
Saturday 19 February 2005 7.48am
Thanks. Nice to know that the E&C project is due to be completed in 2018...I'll be knocking EIGHTY. As you say, a bizarre map, but I guess it's only to supply information on certain things and not to be some sort of "how to get there" thing-y.
Monday 21 February 2005 1.19pm

Jackie,

It will take them until 2018 to move the whole thing to Clapham, which is what the map shows...!

Regards,

Loafer

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: