Lloyds cash machine on Tower Bridge Rd

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 18 February 2005 11.50am
I logged into my internet bank last night to find that someone has taken 900 out of my account over the past 3 days from cash machines in north London.

The last cash machine I used before this happened was the Lloyds Bank machine on Tower Bridge Rd. I didn't notice anything suspicious at the time but wondered if anyone else had had problems or seen anything dodgy?

I still have my bank card and haven't lost it at any point so it must be a card clone. Before my visit to TBR, I hadn't used another cash machine for 4 days so it would appear that it was that machine which was being cloned. Although I may be wrong - thought I'd ask here to see if anyone had similar suspicions?
Friday 18 February 2005 12.03pm
oh Gawd....I used that one this morning for the first time ages....thanks for telling me...I'll watch out! did you let the bank know?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 18 February 2005 12.04pm by Jan the old one.
Friday 18 February 2005 12.31pm
I was subjected to this scam last year after using a cash machine on Tottenham Court Road, where they took the maximum amount of cash out just before midnight, and again just after. I'm always very careful to check machines for devices affixed to them now. Recently I saw a very convincing device fitted to a Barclays machine at Embankment station, and they'd even put a sticker on it with a Barclays logo saying it was an anti-fraud device! I'm sure the design of Barclays machines makes them especially susceptible as they have quite a deep inset around the slot, ideal for someone to fit a device.
Friday 18 February 2005 12.44pm
I have just spent ten minutes trying to get through to toer bridge road, via India, as pleasant as the lady trying to tra nsfer was she did not seem to grasp the urgency I feel!....then gave up mholding for t.b.r. branch to answer....she said she would get them to phone back..i give up....
Friday 18 February 2005 1.15pm
Might not have been skimed at that cash point...also got to consider where else you've used your card recently. The Internet? In a bar or restaurant??
Friday 18 February 2005 1.22pm

Are you a Lloyds Customer ? If so, you may find it more helpful to speak to Lloyds Debit card services, rather than the actual branch where you think your card may have been cloned. They were very helpful when I had a similar experience last year (not cash being withdrawn, but my card details being used to order goods over the internet).

If you're not a Lloyds customer, your own bank should have a similar division, and it will take this problem up on your behalf. You've probably already contacted them, but I just thought I should mention it.
Friday 18 February 2005 1.32pm
I Have just changed my pin number....will that prevent it being skimmed?
Friday 18 February 2005 1.52pm
Jan the old one Wrote:
> I Have just changed my pin number....will that
> prevent it being skimmed?

Only for any future withdrawals by the fraudsters. If you are concerned check your balance to make sure that there hasn't been a cash withdrawal that you don't recognise.

You will probably be all right if the cash machine looked like it normally should this morning - the people who run these frauds normally don't target the same machine for more than a few hours, so if is at least three days since Emmesse used that till they are unlikely to have still been around today.

When this happened to me, in response to being told by HSBC that 950 had been withdrawn from my account in Golder Green, I shouted down the 'phone - "But that's in North London!!" :)

I think the bank got the hint that it wasn't me drawing the cash.
Friday 18 February 2005 2.26pm
Ok, here's an update. Thanks for the advice folks.

I don't bank with Lloyds but I did call my bank as soon as I spotted the dodgy transactions. They re-assured me that I will get my money back! However, I had to report the theft at a police station and take the reference number to a branch of my bank. Took just over an hour to do both those things this morning. They've said that it could be weeks before the process is complete and I get my money back but they did kindly offer to increase my overdraft in the meantime and cancel any charges I incur as a result.

The police said the same as Lang Rabbie - that if it was the TBR cash machine, any trace of a skimming device would be long gone.

Jan the old one - sorry, I didn't mean to alarm you. Hopefully your PIN change should keep you safe.
Friday 18 February 2005 2.47pm
a while ago (probably about two months) I took cash out of the machine on TBR, and I noticed what I thought was something odd.
there was a larger than usual area around the card slot, and also there was some sort of bar added at the top, above the machine.

at the time I didn't think much of it and thought it was a redesigned cash point, but since then I've noticed that it hasn't been there, so I think that it's some kind of skimming device. I recall that the bar across the top had a light in it, and so I'm surmising that there was probably a camera too and it videod the pin number input as well as scanning the card. Luckily I'm very suspicious anyway, and use one hand to cover the other when typing in a pin, and that's probably why I've not had any unauthorised activity on my account. Of course as soon as someone gets your details, they might keep them for ages before actually using them to comit fraud, so it could be someone who got your details months ago who has taken the money.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: