Bin emptying on Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 22 February 2005 5.37pm
Hi there everyone

Just to test the waters but has anyone complained about the noise at 6.30 AM of the bottle bins being emptied down this road.?
I am being deprived of sleep and it is seriously beginng to ANNOY me.
I have already rung the Council and although polite and kind they say they will make a note of it. I said that I didn't want the bins being emptied until 10 am especially at weekends.

Any suggestions??

Tuesday 22 February 2005 11.42pm
Welcome Speakloud.
Don't think you stand much chance of the bins being emptied any later. How about earplugs?
Wednesday 23 February 2005 7.20pm
Thanks but it still won't help.
Obviously no one else seems bothered by the noise. I just thought of the noise pollution. I'm wondering if it is legal.

Wednesday 23 February 2005 10.49pm
Speakloud...

I sympathise. I've lived near a few glass collection point (the worst was Soho)... and it really does wake you up - I sleep through almost anything.

The flipside is many of us want to be good people and recycle. On our development those nearest the banks are understandably pissed off simply by the deposits never mind collections. Some say: Use the other bottle banks in the other road. Well, yes, but that's just making it somebody else's problem.

So, is there a better answer? Should collections only be in the daytime for example?
Anonymous User
Thursday 24 February 2005 8.53am
I also lived for a while in Soho where the bottle collection outside the flat was at around 4am and very very noisy. I have to admit though that I got used to it to the point where I'd sleep through it.

Most business are bound by local council rules to put their rubbish out at a certain time for collection within one or two hours, any changes would bring their whole scheme crashing down.
Friday 25 February 2005 10.32pm
The contractors who do these things want to whizz round before streets get congested (and before the Charge kicks in) and will offer every reason under the sun why they can't come later.
Friday 25 February 2005 10.48pm
Yup, you're probably right. I have heard that there were the same problems in Shad Thames(the wharfs etc). I'm wondering if anything got resolved.

If people are bothered by this and want someone to do something about it I'll volunteer. However, I do think that I will need to write to the Council first then see the result before a petition etc. What do you think? If enough people kick up a fuss it might work.
Friday 25 February 2005 11.53pm
Skips in Southwark are not allowed to be delivered/collected before 8am (I think thats the correct time), and not on Sunday. The council's environmental contact centre can give further information about this. They can be contacted via 7525-5777. I have had several successes with getting this enforced. If you do have a campaign, it might help to point out that if skip operators can do it, bottle bank operators could too.

As for the normal household or business waste collections, I dont think you've got much chance of getting it changed. I believe they pay the operators for the round rather than for the time, so they dash round early, getting it done very quickly, then take the rest of the day off. But you could try - its certainly very noisy and in some areas very early.
Saturday 26 February 2005 2.12am
Saturday 26 February 2005 10.20am
The web address from TLMJJ and the phone no. I gave both relate to the same bunch of people.

edited to say: In my opinion, the noise team are one of the best services that Southwark Council provides. They are quite restricted by the law though.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 26 February 2005 10.22am by The Unladylike Ms. Jo.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: